Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Side Effects are TOUGH!

I got this pic of one of the herons the other day.  This is down in the water below the tree where the nests are.  I love watching these birds!

Now, about the side effects.  I'm having a really hard time with the hand and foot syndrome.  My feet are the worst and I can barely walk.  I CAN WALK, though.  I also have dermatitis from my waist up to my hairline.  I treat it with hydrocortisone and that subdues the itching a lot.  I'm treating my feet and hands with bag balm.  They are not cracked or blistered, but they are swollen and red.  The oncologist encouraged me to stop this round of chemo today, but I told her I'd like to finish this round if I can.  It's obviously working because I have no pain in my head or my side.  I only have tomorrows doses and then Thursday begins my week off.  She thinks the side effects will clear up as soon as I quit taking the chemo.  If I can walk tomorrow, I'll go ahead and finish out this round.  If it's too painful to handle, I'll stop taking it tomorrow and begin my off week.  I have to consult with the oncologist before I start another round.  She wants to be sure that my body has had enough of a rest in 7 days.  Whenever I start with another round, I will use a smaller dose; hopefully that will be enough to stop the cancer but not so strong that I can't handle it.  I thank God that I've been able to keep walking and that I have good docs to keep a close eye on me through this journey.  I can do this.  God is in charge and I have tons of support!

Another side effect that I'm having is dermatitis.  It's a rash on my body from the waist up to my hairline. Hydrocortisone helps to keep the itching under control.  The worst side effect is, by far, my poor feet.

The MRI that I had done on my head last Thursday showed that there is NO cancer in the brain.  However, the brain has several layers of membrane covering it and there is a lesion on one of those layers covering the brain.  It may or may not be cancer; they will watch it closely.  I'm to be alert to headaches on the left side of my head; I've never had any pain there.  Pain there will indicate that the lesion is causing pressure at least. We'll do radiation on it if it begins to hurt or moves closer to the brain.  Right now we're watching it closely for any change.

More good news is that my replacement smart phone came today.  I have to get it activated and remember how to use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment