Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Birds found the cherries.


Tonight's picture is one I took of Don with his cherry harvest a couple of weeks ago. He has been so happy with these cherries this year. We planted these trees (3 of them) about 5 or 6 years ago. Every year they bloom a little, but then there are only a few cherries on each tree. Then this year they were fully in bloom and they had gobs of cherries on them! He's been going out every other day or so and getting a bowl full of cherries, like this bowl. Well, today he went out and there were only about a dozen cherries on all three trees! No doubt the birds discovered his trees and pretty much cleaned them. Oh, well. It's been a great ride until we ran out of 'gas.' If they produce next year, maybe we'll wrap them in nets or something. We thank God for the fun we've had with them and we're glad to share with the birds. (I use the term 'we' loosely; Don may not be so happy to share.) :) Doesn't he look proud of those cherries?

I got sunshine today, but otherwise I'm spending my time in the basement altering clothes I got at the yard sales Saturday. Everything is always too long for me. It's fun!

We got a call from Don's sister, Doris, today and she and her husband, Jerry, are coming through here on their way out west! We're so excited to have them come by for a visit! It's great to have company! We don't usually get a lot of company because we're mostly on the way to nowhere, so we're so happy when folks come through here! I'll get pictures when they come and share on the blog. Woo hoo! (We always stay with them when we go to Houston for MD Anderson check ups; it's going to be so fun to see them when it has nothing to do with cancer!) Woo hoo! I'm so excited!

By the way, you know I am working to be vague about exactly when we are doing anything because I never know who is reading the blog and what their purpose is. So, if I sound vague, it could be because I am on a chemo brain trip or it could be very intentional. Mostly it's because I have little concept of time and details. Ha. If you need to know exactly where we are and when, just email me or call.

2 comments:

  1. An old friend has given me two batches of sour cherries...I made a pie with some of the first batch and it was so, so good. Haven't had a "homemade" cherry pie for years. I pitted 13 cups last night and froze them for some pies later on. Don's look so good...the birds aren't eating them here someone said because it is the year of the locust...don't know what that has to do with it. Have a safe trip and fun on your trips!

    Love ya, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cherries are about 90% pit, so they are only good for someone who, like Don, loves them. He really enjoys them and keeps them right by his computer to munch on while he works on his 'stuff.'

    Thanks for your good wishes for our trip. We can hardly wait to go; it'll be so much fun to get together with the kids.

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete