Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Elena looks like an angel.


Tonight's picture is one we took of Elena in Papasan's baby dress. This is the dress I'd lost since we had Mason's picture made in it when he was a baby. (Mason is 9.) Then when we re-did our floors and moved out the washer and dryer this dress was behind them in a plastic bag. We had intended to make pictures of all of Papasan's great grand children in this dress, and I thought we'd never get to have the last three made in this dress, but I found it! So, we made pictures of Raynie and Elena this week. Blake was sick, so he didn't make the reunion, but we'll catch him in the fall on our way to my school (Itazuke) reunion. Now, our nephew, John, was at the reunion with his 3 month old baby, and we should have made her picture in this dress, but I wasn't THINKING! I was so excited to see the baby I totally forgot the dress. I hope we can catch her in the fall, too. If not, it won't be too late at the reunion next year. Obviously this dress is way long and if we can get 3 year olds in it, we can sure get baby Willow in it when she's one. It's a fun tradition! We called my dad Papasan because when I was growing up we spent 6 years in Japan where that's what they call fathers. He would have been 92 this August, so that dress is 92 years old. It was scary to handle it so much this week; I was afraid I'd rip a finger through that fragile fabric, but we had no casualties.

Gretta and Elena went home this evening because Gretta has to work tomorrow. She needs the 'rest.' After this vacation she was so ready to get back home to rest up from it. She's been such a trooper; every day she took 7 kids to the pool! We're taking her son, Garrett, back to Oklahoma with us, so he's still here. He and Gabe are having a ball.

We are all having a ball. In spare time we are working a great jigsaw puzzle. (Spare time???) A few years ago I bought a puzzle tote and this is the first time we've used it. It's great! We can work on the puzzle and then roll it up and put it out of the way and use the table. We haven't played cards so much; I think the puzzle has taken the place of cards.

My sister, Ruthie, advised me to remember: "Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's ALL SMALL STUFF." She is so right! I was so mad at Bluegreen when we moved on Monday, but Ruthie helped me not let it ruin our trip (or my stress level). It reminds me of the scripture that says that vengeance is the Lord's. I love that one. I was always scrawny and all my life I relied on God to 'get them,' because I knew I never could. God will take care of Bluegreen, too.

4 comments:

  1. I love this family tradition of your Maryjo...yes she does look like an angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Dana; thanks for your ability to get onto the page with me.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, she is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. We are very proud of her. She loves the photo shoots!

    ReplyDelete