Saturday, September 3, 2011

Looking good.

Garrett took this picture of us as we left for David's funeral today. Don sure puts up a good front. Trust me, he doesn't feel as good as he looks! His fever was down to 99 until about an hour ago and it's back up to 100.2. His normal is 97, so this fever is not good. He did make it through the funeral today, though.

I did fine with the singing, too. In fact the singing was so good! We got together 30 minutes prior to the funeral and practiced. I cried THEN. That helped me. I was able to get it sort of out
of my system. Then we had 18 folks and 6 of them were men with tremendous voices, so we all blended really well and there was no pressure on anyone to be perfect. The songs we sang were:

How Great Thou Art (As family came into the room.)
Amazing Grace (After family was seated.)
His Eye is On The Sparrow (That's a difficult song, but our song leader sang
it as a solo and we just sang the chorus, so it was easy and beautiful.) We
sang this after the preacher read the Obituary.
My God and I (After the Sermon, as the family left)
There Is a Place of Quiet Rest (As the rest of the people left.)

Dorothy was queen for this day. Her only son died about 15 years ago. His only son is very attentive to her, but today David's son and daughter (David and Dorothy married 13 years ago.) were right there with her every moment. She had one on each arm all day. I was so touched and I know that she was, too. They are a wonderful family. Two of her 3 sisters were here and lots more family, too. It was wonderful to see all of them. David's daughter lives here and his son lives in California; he'll stay with Dorothy for this next week. When they get all the details taken care of and go home, the community will be here to wrap our arms around Dorothy. I'll get a picture of her soon to share on the blog.

Trish decided to postpone their trip until a time that Don feels better. We miss them, but we've had some good quiet time with Garrett. We'll look forward to whenever they do come.

God bless you all. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment