Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Monday Feb 19 Update


So, this is the wild life in Hawaii: the first picture is Don and I posing with what we call a ribbon tree because the roots look like ribbons. The second one is a couple of little goldfinches that let me get really close. The third is an uncommon shot of a mongoose. They usually move too quickly for me to get a shot. Maybe this is one reason I like Hawaii: there are no snakes or poison ivy so our hiking is pretty safe if we can just stay on our feet!

Today we went into Kona and stopped and saw great whale shows going and coming. We can’t get enough of the whales. We still had lots of wind today, so we didn’t hazard the ‘favorite hike.’ We’ll do that tomorrow if possible.

We had a nice lunch at the Kona Inn today, right on the beach. That’s where we saw the goldfinches. The mongoose was on Alii Blvd in the yard of one of the churches. The shot of Don and I with the ribbon tree came from yesterday’s ‘storybook hike.’

Doris and Jerry leave Wednesday, then we will be getting the yard and house in order to leave. We’ve kept it up all along, but we want to leave it as perfectly for Bob as he left it for us. It’s sure been a great haven for us.

Love you all and God bless!

4 comments:

  1. Loved this batch MaryJo. The tree is fantastic..what a piece of art. Thats a pretty hot looking couple of love birds sitting on it also. Didn't know about this mongoose business in Hawaii...she how much you are educating us.
    dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I'm concerned, you're going to have to keep up the blog when you get back to Podunk, OKLA! You know.... photos of all your doings back home.

    Come on down to Houston for a check up.

    Love,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, there are many awesome trees here! The mongoose is interesting. They brought it over to get rid of the rats in the sugar fields, but it was an error. The mongoose sleeps at night and the rats are active then, so now they have a mongoose population and they don't help a thing! Still, not as bad as snakes! They shut down all the sugar business, so I guess the rats aren't so bad; I see lots of mongoose (geese?) and haven't seen a rat. Love you, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I guess I'll keep it up as long as there is this cancer issue; it lets people know how I'm doing. As to our doings at home, that will be a challenge to keep you all coming back. I guess I'll be sending pictures of our fantastic canasta gang; I've got to decide what will remain in my life as I priortize and canasta is all I'm sure to keep. I may send pictures of me reading and computing? It's going to be a challenge to keep my life simple and de-stressed. I may be in Houston for some check ups; we'll see what evolves.

    It means a lot to me that you read the blog and 'hold my hand' through all this. I don't have the vocabulary to express what you all mean to me to care to hang with me, even when we go back home!

    Love you, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete