Sunday, February 18, 2007

Saturday Feb 17 Update



Today was way windy. It was just the trade winds, and not Kona winds, but it was too windy to hike or even watch whales for long. We did watch whales and saw lots of good breaches, but it was just really hard to keep our hats from blowing away! So, we took another easy day. That was fun, too! We went out to eat at the Mexican restaurant and saw a beautiful sunset from there. Of course we started the day out at the banyan tree and picked up deserts for the others since I’m not making any such thing anymore. It was too windy for much to be happening at the banyan tree, even!

The pictures today are of the people who weave baskets and roses out of coconut palm leaves. There are only 5 people on the island who know how to do this, plus this young girl, Courtney, who is learning. They are very nice people. The rose in the top picture is the rose I got for Tom and Linda Rose who were here with us for 10 days. Tom found Courtney on the beach working on a basket one day, but she can’t make roses, yet. We found her aunt and uncle up at Pololu the other day and he made the rose for us. I think they are beautiful. Gretta bought a basket from them when she was here a couple of years ago. These people are really wonderful people. It’s amazing to watch them work.

We’re enjoying this weather, even when it’s windy. We know it’s better than at home. We love you all and hope you are staying warm. I love you and thank you for caring to stop and check on us.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Sissy....I love the rose and the baskets. Are they very expensive? I have so enjoyed each picture and each tale of the day. I'm asking today that you think of James Michael and his family as his younger sister, Janet, is on life support and they are going to take her off of it tomorrow and they don't expect her to survive. She is my age, has had several heart surgeries and her little lungs have just given up. Please keep them in your prayers. You are in mine, my beloved friend. Give Honeyman a hug for me.
    Princess Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo and Don, I am so glad you all got to see the breaching whales, and I am jealous too. Love you both, Linda and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Princess Dolly! The roses are $5 and the bowls are $20. The bowls are gorgeous and they put roses on them. I don't know where I'd put one in my bag, though. I will certainly keep JC and his family in my prayers. That is such a hard position they are in with his sister. God bless them! Honeyman loves your hugs! You are in our thoughts, too. We love and miss you! Love, Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda and Tom, we are sure missing you two! It's been super windy here, but we keep having fun and just miss you as we go. I keep quoting you both on fun things you said. It was sure a fun couple of weeks! Love and miss you both, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. MaryJo....I know durn well I wrote a comment about the rose...don't know where it went. I bragged on your great macro camera work...lol. I really did enjoy the close up of that one. dana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dana, you know how cyber space just grabs some of the great stuff we write! I hate when that happens! I'm glad you like my work with the rose. I'm still working on the sand, but haven't got it looking good, yet. How about I bring you some sand and YOU get a good macro shot of it? Do you have any perdot jewelry? It looks so good in the sand. I put my diamond in there, but it's all blurry. I'm not giving up. Love you, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete