Friday, February 2, 2007

Thursday Feb 1 Update

Today has been a really different sort of day. The last three days we had Kona Winds, which is a big deal because the winds were up to 60 mph. That’s no big deal in Oklahoma, but it’s out of the ordinary around here. We’ve had grapefruit, oranges and tangerines out our ears!!! Also we’ve had lots of fallen limbs and branches, so there has been quite a bit of work to keep the place in order. We still had good times. Don and I decided to take today to get up all the stray leaves and limbs and get all the juicing done, but we were RAINED out! We had 10 hours of rain today! They only get 62 inches a year in this spot and we’ve had over 4 inches just today. We couldn’t believe it. We even drove to the close beach seeking sunshine and found NONE. It was our first no whale day! I’m sure the whales are out there, but it was too windy and rainy for us to distinguish whales from waves.

David and Susan left at 6:30 this morning to hike the volcano and they were rained out, too! They called back and told us they were driving around the island, going by the southern tip in search of sunshine. It’s been interesting! Since we don’t have exciting pictures from today I’ll share some pictures from the day before yesterday when we went to see water falls on the eastern side of the island.

The first one is Davy and Susan and Don going down the trail to view Akaka Falls. Akaka Falls is in the background:

The next one is the same trio when they hiked down ONTO the Rainbow Falls! You can barely see the falls in the background of this picture, as well. I couldn’t believe they could hike out there. I had been on the phone with a customer and when I caught up with them they were out there! Two years ago I had climbed all around just to get to the edge of that falls! The last picture is my two-year-old picture of the same falls as it has looked every time I’ve ever seen it before.

After I got their picture, I climbed down to the edge where they had been. That was way scary! I took this shot of how it looks looking down from the top of the falls. I googled Rainbow Falls, Hilo and found that this is not all that uncommon for the falls. The way it has looked every time we’ve been before seems to have been after a flood. The way I will always recall Rainbow Falls is as is pictured below in my picture from November of 2004. God made it awesome whether it is flooded or not. I stand amazed.

I love you all!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo & Don, The last two blogs were awesome--the pics outstanding! We are so excited as we will be leaving in less than 24 hours! God has blessed me so richly. XO, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) We can hardly wait to see you and share this wonderful bit of God's handiwork with you. See you soon! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to share the beauty of God's creation with us in pictures and stories! I just have to tell you the picture you sent of "Rainbow Falls" is now my desktop, and I'm loving it!! Seeing waterfalls is a pure joy to me and such a peaceful experience! I'm so glad you have pictures from the "archives" or current to share with us. Some day I hope to make this trip in reality, but if that isn't in God's plan for me, then I'm sure having a wonderful time now thanks to you! Don't forget to take care of yourself as you enjoy all the beauty and continue to share it with us! Love you!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Ruthie, I'm so glad you found a new desktop in Rainbow Falls! I really wish you could be here to see all these falls. Next time let's really do it! I'm glad you're able to enjoy it through the blog. We are really enjoying it; no way we're leaving any of this on the table!

    ReplyDelete