Friday, February 5, 2010

Crossing the river in Waipio Valley.


Tonight's picture is one Davy took of Don and I coming back across the river as it enters the ocean in Waipio Valley. Davy nearly got me going down, but I recovered and didn't fall after all; neither did Don. Whew! We had our valuables in plastic bags, but we didn't want to fall because we'd be all wet, plus we could get hurt. The bottom is all rocky unless you go out farther and then the water is deeper (like up to my arm pits). We went with the rocks. Either way there is a really stiff current, so it's hard to keep from falling. This day I had on flip flops and it was hard to keep the flip flops from escaping with the current and keep from falling at the same time. The next day, when we went back and crossed, again, and climbed to the top on the other side, I wore my tennis shoes right into the river and it was much easier. Wet tennis shoes are no problem! I took them off and put on flip flops as soon as we got back to the jeep, and I needed the tennis shoes to climb the mountain, anyway. Don wore his sandals in the water and carried his shoes; I needed my hands as free as possible!

Today we went to A Bay Beach and got some sun. We saw some turtles and had lunch. It was an easy day. We came home and did some chores around here, laundry, yard, etc. Davy and Susan took the night off and went back to hike a sunset hike on the beach where we were this afternoon and then have a romantic dinner somewhere. Don and I had a romantic dinner on the lanai and loved resting after getting some chores done. We have had so much fun with Davy and Susan being here. We thank God that they could come and that we all have such good support at home to make this trip possible. Meanwhile the folks at home have mostly all got power back from the last storm. Fortunately our kids at home never lost power. Our house lost power and all our friends in Hobart, but most everyone has power back, but a few in the country are yet in the dark. Tough Okies! God bless them!

2 comments:

  1. Jo, Isn't Waipio Valley that one has to climb "UP" to get out of, and you did this two days in a row! Wow!!! Have fun, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, it's the one we drove down in the Jeep and the horses were down there. Well, we drove down it two days in a row. Both days we hiked across the river, but I only had flip flops and we didn't bring water, so we couldn't hike all the way to the top on the first day. We went up about 1/3 of the way. The second day we took lunches and I wore my tennis shoes. Davy, Susan and I went all the way to the top (on the other side) and Don hiked around down at the bottom. It was WAY cool! We'll have to do that the next time you come over here with us. We went up to the top of Knob Hill, again, today. Now, Davy and Susan are hiking down into Pololu and Don is mowing. I'm going to go out and do some trimming for him to make myself feel useful.

    Love and MISS you!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete