Thursday, February 25, 2010

The "Westin Heavenly Bed" is not heavenly!


I forgot I had promised a picture of our condo unit. This is what they call the "heavenly bed." Let me tell you it sleeps good after I re-made it. The way they had it made it was like the bed from hell! I haven't been short sheeted since I was in college, but they did it to us here! Actually, they make beds like this at Big Cedar outside of Branson, too. I don't get it; two of the nicest places in the world to stay, but they throw a wet blanket on the whole thing with the way they make the beds!

They use flat sheets and make the bed with the the bottom sheet even with the foot of the bed and tuck it under about 3 feet at the top, but not under at all at the bottom! (So all through the night I get all tangled up with the bottom sheet and the matress pad.) They put on a top sheet and then a poofy comforter; then another top sheet. Then they tuck all of that in and put on the final comforter and turn the sheets back over the comforter. Then they pile on all those pillows. So the sheet has to show out from under the pillows so it looks all pretty, but that leaves the sheets coming about to where my elbows hit in the bed. But we toss all the pillows because we sleep on what my friend, Judy, calls rocks. (Our own pillows) When we pull the covers back to get into the bed, all the sheets come loose since they were all tucked in together from the beginning. (The top sheets hang on because they're tucked in about 3 feet at the bottom, but the bottom sheet comes all loose on the sides and it was never tucked at the foot, so we get all wadded up in it through the night as we struggle for covers.) We have to scoot way down to the foot of the bed because we're hunting the covers. They're tucked in about 3 feet at the bottom, so you can only get covers up to your elbows all night. The next morning I get up and rip all the sheets off and re-make the bed, just what I wanted to do on vacation! UGH! It gets me started off to a really bad day to have a lousy night's sleep and then have to re-make the bed first thing in the morning! I'd like to make the person who dreamed up that bed making plan sleep in one of those beds one night! It's so sad because the sheets are great quality, and so are the comforters; what a waste of good stuff! The bed is a good bed, too, so once I get it made right, we're in good shape.

The kitchen is first class, too. Notice in the picture that the whirlpool tub is just through the shutters beside the bed. There is a huge shower on the other side of the bathroom, too. We're enjoying the whole place, now that I got the bed made right.

We went out to see the sunset tonight and a mother and calf (whale) were 'skipping' all across our 'stage.' It was so cool; they kept breaching all the way across the water in front of us. I got some pictures, but they don't do it justice; just know that we're having a wonderful time. This trip is a great gift and we sure thank God for it. Don's ankle continues to get better, but it's still weak. He really gave it a wicked twist, I guess. It's a good thing we were done hiking! We're enjoying the beach, the whales and the sunsets. I walked the beach by myself today because I don't think he's going to be able to walk it before we leave. It was over a mile to the right; tomorrow I'll go to the left and see how far it goes. (Don forgot I'm not supposed to walk by myself, but how bad could I hurt myself falling in the sand? Maybe he thought that; he doesn't forget much, but I felt like I was robbing a bank as I went off by myself!)

2 comments:

  1. Jo, Do I see a greeting card on the far side of the bed???? Give it up :) Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That card is one I'm supposed to leave on the bed if I don't want them to change the sheets. I didn't want them to TOUCH the sheets because I didn't want to have to unmake and make the bed from scratch, again!

    It's been a wonderful bed since I re-made it. We've had a wonderful week here! We sure miss you and Tom. You must come to this island sometime. It's not such hard 'work' . . . it's beautiful beaches galore. There are some great hikes, so we can still wear you out, but you can relax in the gorgeous blue water when you get done!

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete