Thursday, September 4, 2008

Little old lady with the cane.


This picture was taken Monday when I was 'raising cane' in the house. It's really a hoot here, as I go about 'raising cane.' When I walk I wear those bands to support my knees. Then I wear this sleeve. I don't wear boobs when I walk because I don't want to get them all sweaty. I don't wear mascara, either. You just have to imagine the scene. It's bad enough when I'm just walking, but when I'm waving the cane in some exercise, people just can't help but stare. They really look at Don like he must be the person who keeps me from getting run over or something (He IS!)

When I first went to see my therapist she was advising us to eat organic food as much as possible and grass fed beef, etc.. She was so against fish because of mercury and very against chicken because they have been given steroids, etc. She said, those chickens aren't even like chickens anymore; they don't even have feathers! I think that's all pretty radical; I don't know if she's right or not. I don't do much meat at all, and I can't afford organic food, so I just do the best I can. I thought it was too funny today, though, when people were gawking at me. I told Don, they must think I'm a little old lady on steroids, like the chickens with no feathers. There I go with my legs banded on at the knee, no boobs, no make up and swinging a cane. They don't know what part of me should get the stare; some even turn and look back after they pass me. Actually, these people all look pretty silly stumbling around to get a good look at me, too. We are entertaining each other. (The really funny thing must be that I walk pretty fast. If I'm not swinging the cane or going up or down stairs I just carry it. It's great to lean on it if we have to stand in line. I just know they can't figure out 'what's up with that cane?')

The deal is that I'm feeling great and getting lots of exercise here. I loved swimming in the pool today! I continue to be amazed at these mountains here and this beautiful Colorado River. The humidity was about 10 today, so I didn't even sweat enough to curl my hair good even though it was 102! We are so enjoying some more of God's handiwork. We love home, but it's sure nice to visit this country sometimes. It'll be even better when we get to watch Jessie play ball this weekend! I thank God for it all, even the people who make me smile as they wonder 'what's up with the old lady with the cane.'

4 comments:

  1. Go, Mary Jo! A most interesting read about the cane and the gawkers. You, just keep on entertaining all of us, the lookers and readers who love hearing from you. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ann! You would love it! I'm glad you enjoy the tales! Thanks for reading and hanging with me!

    I love and miss you!

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the doctors told the president of the LDS Church he needed to "carry a cane," that's exactly what he did for a long time. So you go, girl! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Bill! It's so good to hear from you, and thanks for volunteering to lead the song at the business meeting at the reunion. I'm counting on you and am grateful for your willingness.

    See you soon!

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete