Monday, July 6, 2009

On top of the USA.





We went to the very summit of Mauna Kea today. Here is the documentation of it. The one picture is of Don and I at the top. It was pretty cold up there, but the sun kept us warm with the layers of clothes we were wearing and the heat we worked up climbing up there. Our bodies don't use oxygen so well at that altitude, so we were all panting for breath. Oh, my goodness; was I ever tired! Don claims it wasn't that bad, but Tom and I had to rest 3 times going up the final hike. Linda was wise enough not to do it. She watched us from the car.



We had to have a 4-wheel drive vehicle to go up there. Don and Tom kept saying they thought a regular car could do it, but Linda and I were really glad we had the 4-wheel drive. We saw other cars up there without 4-wheel drive, so it IS possible, but I was glad we had the 4-wheel drive. To be in the tour we did, it was required. If we had it to do over we'd go without the tour, though. If I have it to do over, I won't do it, again. I'm glad we did it once, but once is good enough for a lifetime in my book. If I were an astrology nut or science buff, maybe I'd like it more, but I'd way rather be out searching for monk seals and watching waves crash into the shore! I'm sure there was a whole lot I could have learned today, but I slept through all of the video because I was wearing an anti-motion sick patch. The curves of the road going up and the altitude put me at risk for motion sickness. 9 years ago, when we were here we went up as far as the visitor's center and I got sick, so I wore the patch today. I didn't get sick, but I was drop over sleepy!



I sure thank God for the opportunity to view all His handiwork and for wonderful friends to do it with us. We are having so much fun and thanking God all the way.

4 comments:

  1. Oooo Looks like a lot of fun Maryjo...I'm very proud of you for making it. dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both are going to be in such great shape with all that climbing up and down! I'm glad we got to see some of these places (the level ones :) ) with you once so we can picture the scenes. It's great you get to have such great visits with good friends in an interesting place. You deserve it because you are such good and fun hosts. We're enjoying your fun from our easy chair.
    Love from all the Edmonds

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny that you are enjoying all this from your easy chair! You're right; you've seen so much of this. I'm not sure if all this climbing is helping our shapes any; we still seem to be really round and really achy. We keep putting one foot in front of the other and it's working.

    I'm going to be so ready to cuddle some with Logan and watch Luke and Colter do their antics when we get there. Heather's pictures on her blog are so cute of all of them!

    Love you all,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I have answered this post of yours twice, Dana. Here goes, again: I took that one of the deally bop at the top just for you. I was pretty proud of getting that shot, not to mention getting to the top and back, safely!

    I wonder where I've put those replies!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete