Monday, July 20, 2009

Topped Knob Hill!



This is a picture Don took of me as we were coming down from our climb up Knob "Hill." After my note about the wind not wrecking my hair, check it out in this picture, not to mention how it was blowing off my shirt! Ha! (It was harder than climbing up to the summit of Mauna Kea, Tom.) I'll put a picture of Knob Hill on the blog probably tomorrow. It looks like an innocent little hill behind where we are house-sitting, but it's a pretty serious hill when you're climbing it and you're within a month of being 61. We made it just fine, but it was a real struggle because the wind was blowing so hard we could barely stand up. I had to rest a lot going up, but coming down was easier than I thought. God left a great walking stick right up at the top, so I had two sticks to use going down, which helped my knees a lot! Thank you, God. All the way up, I was saying, "To God be the glory." I meant, If I make this trek, to God be the glory; I could never do it without Your help! Just think, 2 years ago I was beginning chemo and in a couple of months I could hardly stand up for a while, let alone climb. God has brought me through a lot and He is so richly blessing me with this experience.


The place where we are right now is very different from where we were before. It's cooler and wetter here. However, today is a perfect day! I expect it will be cool tonight, though. Don is sleeping in sweats. I have a little silk t-shirt I brought for sleep, but it's not especially warm. I bought a pair of sweats at a yard sale to wear if I got cold here, but I rolled them up and stuffed them into a skinny pillow case to make a pillow to elevate my lyphedema arm at night. Tonight, I'm going to stuff some t-shirts we got at the thrift store and don't need into that pillow case and wear the sweats. (We went to a thrift store on Saturday to get more warm clothes and bought a bag of shirts for 50 cents. We figured there might be at least one thing in there we could use. There were 27 shirts in there and we liked about 18 of them! We couldn't believe it! What a hoot! One was a cashmere sweater that is working great to keep Don warm. Another is a long sleeved knit shirt that will also work. The others are great to wear when it's not cold. What an amazing bargain!


So, the adventure continues. We are so pleased to have gotten to climb Knob Hill. It's often rainy up there, so it was a great day to go today. We meant to go to the beach, but switched to the Knob Hill climb because it was such a perfect day. Tomorrow we'll go to the beach, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment