Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A picture of Knob Hill



This picture is of Knob Hill with a little shopping area in the foreground. See the trees on the left side, right behind the building with the red roof? We started up just about where those trees are, I think. We walked around the 'hill' to the right and worked our way up to about where that sign is that says Opelo Plaza, except it was on the 'hill.' Then we started more straight up toward that clump of trees. When we got to the trees we went around them to the right and went around them to get up to the top. We came down the same way. The top is right where it looks like it should be; there is a block up there with a stick in it. I have a picture of Don holding onto that stick. I'll post it tomorrow. Notice how that clump of trees is leaning to the left? I guess it's always windy up there. I know it sure was yesterday!


Today we went to a beach we've never seen before and neither have many other people. It was beautiful, but it was sure hard to get there. We had to hike over miles of lava; it was really rough. I don't know how far it was but we hiked an hour to get there, an hour along the beach and then an hour back. Nobody in their right mind would go there, which explains why we went and didn't see another single person. I'll post pictures of that hike when there is nothing else to post. Right now I'm thanking God for bringing us safely home. It was great exercise, but it would have really been a disaster if either of us had fallen. God was so kind; he even showed me crabs to entertain me along the way.


I've already jiggled and I am so ready for bed. Yesterday and today have just about been over quota for me. My doctor wanted me to do 20 minutes of weight bearing exercise a day. I normally do an hour of walking and think I'm doing good. This 3 hours of climbing is a little overdoing it, I'm thinking! Most people go to the beach and swim or we like to walk in the waves along the beach, but three hours over lava is something I can't believe I did! Isn't our God amazing to build us old folks so we can even do this??? I stand amazed and give thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo and Don! I was wondering when you two would go up that hill! I bet it was a pretty view from the top. And that hike over the lava-- ya'll are so brave! We are missing you both. Ella said, "Grama, I missed you" so many times. Hope you are enjoying the little cottage and the babies. Give Lii a bite of your yummy gravy! That will put an ounce on her! Have more fun, love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, we took the first pretty day that came, because we didn't want to get stopped by rain, again. We had no idea it would be so windy up there, but looking at the trees, I'm thinking it might always be that windy up there. That hike over the lava was crazy! We had read about it in the book you gave us and we kept looking for a trail. We finally found the trail, but it was on lava, too, so it was still tough. Sometimes we do really stupid stuff and that was one of the times, I think. We should have explored more on the west side while you were here with that 4-wheel drive Jeep. It was just an unknown to us. We're learning, though!

    The little cottage is so wonderful. Poor Don keeps running over himself, but he's getting used to it. He's a really big guy for this little place. It's just my size, and it's a big relief not to have so much to keep clean and dry!

    Lii has an infection and is such an angel about us giving her the pills. She spits them right out, but she is so patient with us. We're doing better. They are both eating really well and haven't displayed any signs of depression. They are VERY obedient, so they are a pleasure to keep. They're so funny. They actually have the cat terrorized. Too bad she never had any kittens so she'd know she doesn't need to be afraid of these dogs. Any mother cat would stand right up to them and chew them up and spit them out, but she doesn't know that. It's kind of sad. I have to put them on the back side of the lanai so she can eat; little bullies!

    We miss you guys, too. I know you're glad to be home and on the campaign trail. Good luck to Tom in the election.

    Love,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete