Thursday, September 13, 2012

Not to be outdone by the rain.

I got this picture this morning of us standing among all the bins we had packed to bring home today.  We were assured it was going to rain, so we put all the bins we had into plastic bags and then loaded them into the truck.  We brought home 24 bins, a little college type fridge for Dorothy and a huge bag of Lee's shoes and boots.  We tied it all down and only one bag even got a rip in it.  We didn't lose a thing.  We didn't get home until about 9:30, though. We've got it all unloaded into the garage except for the fridge and all the shirts and coats we have hanging in the back seat of the truck.

Lee had a fasting blood test first thing this morning and then a check up with his urologist this afternoon.  It was pouring down rain, so we didn't want to load the truck and leave it sitting in the rain, so we waited until after we finally got done with his appointments and loaded and then headed for home.  One more load done!  In the morning we'll go first thing to Dorothy's to deliver the little fridge and give her a haircut.  She's leaving tomorrow afternoon for a week in OKC with her sister-in-law, so I want to get her off with a good haircut.  We haven't seen her in nearly 2 weeks, so we need hugs, too!  We'll pick up the mail and then get busy clearing out around here so there will be space for us to bring Lee's belongings (the rest of them) a week from tomorrow.  I've got to 'teach' band and music on Monday, and Trish and Rob and the kids are coming this weekend, so we've got to get a lot done tomorrow and Monday and Tuesday.  We'll head back to OKC on Wednesday and then move the rest of Lee's belongings with a mover on Friday.  What a schedule!  Next week I may have to take some days off from the blog because we may not be connected.  I'll post at MacDonald's if I can, but this moving is a pretty hairy deal!

Besides just being a tough moving day, today was emotional.  I had stuck these pants and shirt in my suitcase in case it turned cool.  Sure enough it turned cool and it's all I had besides shorts.  It's also what I wore at the hospital a year ago when we learned that Don would not survive; I think I wore it for at least 48 horrible hours.  So, here I was today going to two different hospitals with Lee and his appointments in this outfit. It was too close to very sensitive memories.   I thank God that Lee understood the tears I couldn't hold; he's 4 years away from losing his wife and he still has tears, too.  I guess some pains never quit, but I thank God for Lee to help me through the tough times and to share and create good times.  I also thank God for good appointments for Lee today; he doesn't have to see his urologist for another year and the fasting blood test was for his check up with his cardiologist next week.  He's all set for a good report next week.  The electro-cardiogram earlier in the week looked good, they said.

6 comments:

  1. You had me tearing up for a bit MJ when talking about the clothes, little details like that will do it for you. I don't know how you two are able to even walk after the schedule you have kept for the last couple of week..you deserve a break pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Dana, thanks for understanding that we walk 'funny.' :) No kidding; sometimes we are barely hobbling, but we continue to move in the direction of settling into this new home for us. That dream keeps us going. We want so much to be fairly settled by the time we leave for San Antonio; then THAT will be a break for us. Also, we really do get along so well and have so much fun together. Even when our bodies feel broken our spirits are not. Thank you so much for your support the whole way. Lee is almost as excited about coming to the reunion as I am because all of you have been so supportive and make him feel so welcome. He knows how much support you have been for me and it means a lot to both of us. Love you tons!

      Delete
  2. Of course you remembered "this time last year" and all the pain that goes with it! I've thought about you all week and know it is a tender time for you. You've handled that adversity so well this past year. You've inspired many as you chose to march on with great spirit and awareness of God's wonderful gifts to you each day, always giving Him the glory and inspiring all who know and care about you! I'm so glad you and Lee have each other to share life with, ease the pain, and go on making new memories together! That's what Don would want! Love you! Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthie, thank you so much for saying these nice things. I haven't always felt like I was marching, but that was my goal. Sometimes I was really dragging but I was always holding to God's hand and He kept me going. Yes, He so richly blessed Lee and I with finding each other. One of Don's classmates firmly believes that Don sent Lee! I don't know how all that works, but I do think Don would love Lee and would be glad that we have each other if he can't be here. I hope that anyone who is watching me will never have to face what I've faced, but I know many will and I shudder for them. I've had tremendous support from friends and family and I've been so richly blessed. I'm glad that Don didn't have to go through this being left thing, but he never got to know the blessings I've known from it. I'm tempted to think that I would like to have not been left, but on the other hand I so love the blessings I've felt because of it. Life is interesting and often tough. God Knows what we can do and He has a purpose for us. All I've ever known to do is to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I thank God and you and all the others who love me for hanging with me. Thanks so much for your love and support all my life! I love you!

      Delete
    2. AMEN, Ruthie!
      Doris

      Delete
  3. Oh, Doris, thanks SO much! I don't know what I would have done without all of you to help me with the march. I love you all so much!

    Doris, we got the mail today and loved going through the directory. I haven't inspected it for errors or omissions, but it is absolutely awesome. Thank you so much for doing it and sharing it with all of us!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete