Thursday, June 14, 2007

Flooding!
















Oh, my goodness! I sent pictures from our lake last night. We got up this morning and our lake was way out of it's boundaries! We had water beginning to come into our basement and we've been all day shop vacuuming it to stay ahead of it. Joan brought over her brother, Floyd's, shop vac, so we had two to use. We had made over a hundred trips up the stairs to empty those when David and Dorothy came over to bring us Subway sandwiches for dinner. They went and got their sump pump and hoses so we could pump the water out of the basement instead of having to tote it up those stairs! We still have to vacuum it, but we just empty it into a big plastic bin and then pump it out the escape hatch of the basement. It's also slowing as it comes inside, so if we can miss the rain all around us, then we'll get some sleep tonight. We are under flash flood warnings, and also there is a 70% chance of rain! God knows what we need and what we can handle, so we give thanks for the strength to get through today. I'm thanking him for the diapers I've hoarded over the years. I must have squeezed a million today into a hospital bath pan and toted it up the stairs. I filled 3 washers full of water which I squeezed out of diapers before we got the second shop vac. Both hands are blistered in 3 places; I think that means I'm a pansy and haven't been working hard enough. I'm sure God is a fanatic about clean basements. I keep being concerned about getting the house clean and He wants the BASEMENT clean. I thought it was pretty clean, but I guess he wanted it rinsed good.

My new cables for the camera came today, so I've got pictures galore. I'll give them to you 3 at a time. Today's pictures are Gabe and Garrett mesmerizing Elena; she thought they were awesome; can you tell? Then there is a good shot of the two of them before we left for the reunion. Then there is one of Gabe, Garrett and Sadie getting to ride in the rumble seat of Uncle Phil's car. How cool are they? Tomorrow I'll show you more great pictures.

God is great; praise Him, and I've lost count of the blessings, but I'm just starting over counting.

6 comments:

  1. MaryJo,
    I know I saw a story on Tv today about the flooding in Hobart, I thought of you. sorry you are having to go through that. dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom! Do you remember Tyler and Tanner's dad Darren? Well he called today to see if you guys were OK. Isn't that nice? He saw on the news how bad it was in Hobart and remembered that you guys lived there so he called me to make sure you were alright. Just thought you'd like to know lots of folks are thinking about you!

    - me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, it's so good to hear from you every now and then! Just when I think nobody is reading the blog, up you pop! Thanks for caring. We're surviving just fine. Lots of folks had big problems; ours were minor and we got lots of exercise. :) Love you! Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How thoughtful of Tyler and Tanner's dad toeven think of us let alone call and check with you! Yes, I remember when they came and stayed here and they guys stayed up half the night playing canasta! Folks have been really thoughtul. Thanks for letting us know abaout Darren's call. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! you are cleaning up from the floods and her we are in Tennessee drying up! As you say God knows best in all things. All the things that are happening now makes me think of all the things that happened to those in the old testament! I hope you can stay dry. We have had basement flooding when we lived in Hammond. I sure do enjoy your updates and the pictures. Your Grand Ones are just Precious. Elena looks like a doll. I couldn't tell what, was it Garret holding the frog, he was in his hand till I read it. Your Big Sis and Phil are sure enjoying their duck famlies. I pray for all the ones that got floods, well, I pray for everyone. Keep up the good work. I loved the picture of the Lil'Ruthie and Phil and the Grand Ones. I cannot remember the names.Ruthie should have been in the car too.
    With Love and Prayers
    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Dot! Thanks for dropping us a note; we needed the refreshment! It's been a struggle with the basement, but we're learning how to manage it. We thought we had to DRY it; we've learned we just keep pumping it out and THEN it will dry when the saturation the ground is not so heavy. Patience. Man, was our lesson at church tonight perfect: James 1: 2-4. Count it all joy, etc. I loved it and we really are learning so much from the flooding experience.


    The kids loved that ride! Ruthie loved watching it unfold from the porch; I wish she'd been out there in the picture, too!

    Love you! Jo

    ReplyDelete