Sunday, June 24, 2007

Wet week coming.


This isn't the greatest picture, but it's the best I could do with the height and time I have. Anyway, it shows you that my magnolia is blooming, and I'm happy with it. It has about 7 blooms on it, so it's responding well to the rains! The grass is growing so that we could probably sit and watch it if we weren't busy vacuuming and pumping water out of the basement.

Today we went over 2700 gallons that we've vacuumed and pumped out of the basement in the last 11 days, or however long it has been. That doesn't include what we've pumped out that we couldn't measure. It's a lot of water. I know this ground is so refreshed. It must be a bath that God knows we need. The mosquitoes are delighted. I'd rather have the bull snakes than the mosquitoes, but I didn't get to pick any of this. This is all God's idea, and I'm thanking Him for sending what we need instead of what we think we want.

Today was a relatively easy day. Don did all the work in the basement and I took a nap. We ate lunch after church at the Mexican restaurant. Jo Ann and Frank didn't stay as she was really tired from their trip to the city on Friday and Saturday. They were replacing electrical equipment that lightning destroyed a couple of weeks ago. David and Dorothy didn't stay for lunch because David is really struggling to breath with all this humidity; he didn't even make it to church. It's been a hard week for them. We went on to the restaurant and enjoyed ourselves even without our best buddies. The preacher and his family (our next door neighbors) just got back this week from their vacation to California and they sat at the booth next to us, so that was fun. We love them like they belong to us, so it's really good to have them home.

Did I tell you about Don falling in the basement one day last week? He had that big goose egg sized bump on his hip, but he managed with it really well. Finally, today the goose egg turned into a big huge bruise that spreads all over his hip and rear. I thought he was indestructible, but I guess he's not. He's really good with the water management job, though; good thing, because it looks like we've got plenty of more water coming. Even last night we had some rain; only 15/100, but it keeps going into the water table. I'm learning more about this than I ever wanted to know. God wants me to be so smart.

I cooked beans today to last a couple of weeks. I make a batch and put them in the freezer in smaller containers so that I don't have to cook beans all the time. I also brewed a batch of Essiac tea, so I'm done with that for the week. I've got a whole harvest of garlic out in the garden that I need to get, but the mosquitoes make me skittish of the garden and I'm procrastinating. There's always something to keep me busy. I guess I could dig it up and throw it away, but I think Mom won't let me do that.

God will give me direction. He takes care of us and blesses us beyond measure. Count with me! (Who would have thought us two old people could get 2700 gallons of water out of the basement? And, what if we'd been traveling somewhere? That sounds like 2700 + blessings to me. We're here to do it and ABLE, and we HAVE a basement! Maybe I sound like Pollyanna, but I'm thrilled!)

1 comment:

  1. Jo I just want to tell you I can relate to the frogs in the basement. I have one that has been in the basement for a while. I have flowers down there in the winter and never see it much. But the flowers are out now and I see him often in a pan of water I have down there for my cat. He sits in there for so long and then jumps out and I don't see him for a while. I continute to remember you in Prayer.
    Love,
    Frances Cain

    ReplyDelete