Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Great Smoky Mountain day.


The picture on the blog today is one Don took today at an entrance to the Appalachian Trail. We were at Newfound Gap in the Great Smoky Mountain Park; I figured this is as close to the Appalachian Trail as I’ll ever be. Later there was another entrance and I walked on it a ways, just so I could say I did it.

We went up to the park today with Trish and Rob and all their kids. Gretta and Garrett and Elena stayed in Gatlinburg and went to the Aquarium. Then we took the kids to a park with a stream while Trish and Rob shopped a little. All together, Gabe got 11 salamanders and a crawfish today. They are such hunters! It was too cool when Gabe got a salamander at the bottom of Clingman’s Dome. He was standing there showing it to me and a group of guys gathered around to take pictures of it! I took a picture of that scene; maybe I’ll put it on the blog one day. We all made it to the top of Clingman’s Dome, which is about a half mile, mostly up. Trish carried Raynie in a sling. I think Clingman’s Dome is the highest point in the Smoky Mountains; anyway, it’s a favorite lookout. We had a great, clear day, so it was a great day.

The kids have all gone to a luau that the resort is doing tonight. We’re resting! It was a BIG day for us. I thank God for it and for our safety as we climbed. (The traffic going up to Gatlinburg was AWFUL. We came to a complete stop several times. That’s just to warn any of you who may be thinking of going to Gatlinburg.)

Tom Warmbrode, are you at home, reading this? Call me if you are! 405-823-6453

No comments:

Post a Comment