Sunday, June 1, 2008

End of robin saga.


The picture on the blog is the last I saw of life in the robin nest. Yesterday the mother kept such a close vigil over the babies. I was out in the yard a lot and she was just fine with them. Today the nest is empty. I know the babies weren’t ready to leave the nest. They had grown and were fuzzier, but they weren’t ready to stand up, let alone fly. Something got them. As Don reminded me they are part of the food chain. I think God provides such to help us keep perspective, too. We’ve enjoyed them and appreciated them, but I can live without them. I’m so grateful that it’s not some of my family or friends that just disappeared! They were God’s birds and they fit into His plan like everything else. But the saga is over and this will be the last of the robin pictures.

Otherwise today has been a fine day. I got up early and walked, so it feels like I’m walking in my sleep sometimes. I get really sleepy, but haven’t had a nap. We went to Mr. B’s for breakfast and that is becoming a Sunday morning habit. After church one of the deacons took Daniel to dinner so Don and I ate a frozen strawberry waffle with peanut butter because it felt like the right thing to do. It worked fine and we went out and got some sun after that. It was too hot to nap, so we just visited. Then we went out on the deck to enjoy watching the scissortails and chats while we cooled down enough to get baths. Here I am on another 2-bath day; I think that may be the norm for the summer.
I've talked to Dorothy on the phone and we are going over to visit on our way to church. We've got to figure out the plan for tomorrow.

I haven’t told you about the clock Trish and Rob brought to us. Instead of numbers it has birds on it and on the hour a bird calls out his own song. I LOVE it! They had it in their kitchen until they brought it to us, so I know they are missing it! I’ve decided I’m going to take it back to them to have for a while when we go to Houston in July. It’s such a cool clock. It has a light sensor on it so that if it’s dark you can only hear it if you’re standing right beside it. It’s the greatest! My friend Joan loves it like I do. When we were out in the yard working the other day, whenever we heard a bird call we’d look up and ask what time that meant. It’s been a hoot.

It hurts to have lost the robins, but I thank God for the lesson. I’m so grateful that it wasn’t someone I love that we lost! God teaches us and is wonderful to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment