Friday, May 7, 2010

Another of Hazel and her garden.


Here is another picture of Hazel in her garden. My sister asked, "Does Hazel do all that by herself?" She has a lot of help from our friend, Joan. When Don and I lived across the street from Joan, she was like a shadow: If I went out to dig a hole, she'd show up beside me with her shovel! If I went out with the ladder to trim a tree or something, she'd be right there to hold the ladder for me. If I went out to trim the hedge, she'd be there with a big bag to help clean up what I cut. We did so much work on our yard, it's a wonder we both lived through it. We had lots of barren spots in our yard and whenever Joan dug out a new part of her yard to plant more flowers, she'd call me and see if I wanted the grass she was digging. Of course I did, so I'd dig out holes for her grass and roots, and wheel it across the street to trade. We were infamous around town for wheeling dirt and grass back and forth across the street. One time she decided she didn't want the sidewalk that went from the back of her house out to the alley. She never used it and it was 'in her way' when she mowed. So, she called and asked me if I wanted that sidewalk to make a patio. Ha! So, we dug out a big hole in our back yard and wheeled many loads of dirt over to her back yard. Then we helped her dig up that sidewalk, which was made of 3 foot squares of about 6 inch concrete. Then we wheeled those across the street and 'planted them in our back yard. It must have been such a scream for the neighbors to get up every day and watch whatever we were wheeling across the street that day! That's the kind of friend Joan is, and she's a friend like that to Hazel, too. She still helps me a lot in my yard, too. I'm sure Hazel joins me in thanking God for Joan!

Today we did our walking all around Lawton looking for flooring for our kitchen and one of the bedrooms. We have vinyl we want to replace in those rooms. So, we picked out our Mothers Day and Fathers Day floors. A friend is coming Monday to give us an estimate for putting it down. Woo hoo! I am so ready to have these new floors! I'll go jiggle and power plate before bed, so my back won't get stove up, again!

No comments:

Post a Comment