Monday, May 3, 2010

The last iris patch.


This is the last of my iris patches. You've seen the back yard, and the last two days and today are the ones in the front yard. These pink ones on the left are called October Splendor; maybe because they re-bloom nearly until Thanksgiving. It's a really thick patch that must be thinned this year. Right in front of me is the yellow one that is called Corn Husker. I thinned it last year and it's struggling to produce. It has a few blooms, but I'm glad I started a new patch in the back yard because this one is struggling. It's a re-bloomer and usually produces really well. All the ones on the right side are different shades of blue that Hazel gave me because she didn't like them. I love everything, and these have been beautiful this year, I think. Tomorrow I'll begin a series of posts from Hazel's dress up garden and you'll be impressed. She's really picky; she won't have anything that has any hint of orange, even in the beard; so I get those toss offs! I'm not crazy about orange, either, but I love the flowers and I can appreciate a tad of orange on the beard. I have Roney's Encore in the back yard, which I call peach, since I'm not crazy about orange. :)

On learning of Lynn Redgrave's death after a 7 year journey with breast cancer, I am a little overwhelmed. I feel so good and thank God for a wonderful life. I know that cancer can always return, but I am doing all I can to discourage it; and I trust Him to take care of what I can't control. And, I trust His timing. I look through the slide show she created with her daughter about her journey and find it interesting. You might, too:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2004/04/15/magazine/20040418_REDGRAVE_1.html

The major differences that I see in our treatments were that she had surgery first and then chemo and radiation; I had chemo, then surgery and radiation. She had one mastectomy and I had two. She was more attached to her boobs than I was to mine because she felt some sadness and I've never missed mine. She was a very brave lady to do this slide show and journal open to the world. I've done this blog, but you never see my journal. I think our kids might have flipped if I'd taken pictures of my scar for the blog, although mine look much like hers. I can sure relate to that awful bandage they put on us after surgery and those pesky drains! God, bless her family in their loss and thank you for my life and health.

No comments:

Post a Comment