Thursday, October 6, 2011

Trish and Kendra.


Trish is our daughter who lives in OKC. Kendra is her sister-in-law; she's married to Robert's brother, Randy. Kendra works at Baptist hospital in some administrative position and she came up to see if she could do anything to help us. It was very supportive of her to come up and help us dig up some smiles. I'm amazed as I look back over the pictures and appreciate so much the pictures people let me get. These are precious memories even if it was the worst day of our lives. It's amazing how much people help. One of the many cards I've gotten really stands out to me. It said, "It helps to know that others care and I'm sending this card, so you'll know I care." It's so simple, but so very true. It sure does help to know that others care.

When I left the Altus hospital in route to Baptist Hospital in Oklahoma City, where they were taking Don, I called Trish. She dropped everything and went to the hospital so she was there when he got there. She scoped out where he would be and where we should wait. She came and met me at the front door when I arrived. She met everyone at the front door if she knew they were there. We were up at the hospital for her son, Mason's birthday. We were up there on her birthday and that was the day Don passed. She took the role of being in charge; she made sure I had food and she made sure I ate it. She's coming tomorrow with 3 of the grandkids. I know all the kids are worried about me. I hate to be a worry to them or to anyone, but everyone seems to be worried about me.

I don't think there is any reason to worry. I've never seen anyone sob to death. I must need to do a lot of cleansing because the tears keep coming along with sobs. Today was the worst day, yet, for that. The first day I dug into the finances was really bad, but I've gotten a handle on that, even though it was scary. The emptiness is what's horrible. Trish and the kids will come tomorrow and they will fill the emptiness. Then next week my friends from Itazuke are coming for the weekend. After they leave Trish and Rob are bringing their kids to stay a week with me! That'll see me through this month. Maybe by then I'll have the habit of behaving myself and won't lapse so into sobbing. Think? I am so grateful, but I can't help being so sad. I believe that surely time will help with that. I thank God for precious memories and for all the precious people who are still in my life and who have all stepped up to help in any way they can. I thank all of you for doing just that, too.

4 comments:

  1. Its ok to cry and its ok to sob Maryjo...its part of the grieving process. It will get better, time really does help to heal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dana, you are one of those people who has stepped right up to the plate for me! Thank you so much. I know you've had your share of heartache and you've been through it with Deb, too. I trust that you know what you're talking about and I thank you for pulling me along by the hand. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug Manning says working through grief is like peeling an onion, you do it a layer at a time and you cry a lot. He is a smart man. I am sorry you are having a hard time, but proud to see you are staying active. You remain in the hearts, minds, thoughts and prayers of many. Hang in there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, HB, that's a great analogy and a big help to realize this is just how it's supposed to be. Thanks for your encouraging words. I'm hanging tough, sometimes rough. :)

    ReplyDelete