Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Remember Betsy Clark?




A cold front came through, so my iris didn’t open today. I only got out to go to the dentist so he could fix a tooth that broke a couple of weeks ago. It wasn’t bothering me, but I figured it needed to be fixed before it caused me pain and agony when I was up to my ears in something fun. I didn’t run across anything worthy of taking a picture at his office.

Then I came home and spent the rest of the day going around cleaning up little stashes of stuff that I have EVERYWHERE! I even cleaned out my pantry. Don is amazed and afraid to hinder me while I’m on a roll. I just hope he doesn’t ask for anything because there is no telling what I’m throwing away and what new stashes I’m creating. I’m such a pack rat; I can’t even believe some of the stuff I have!

Anyone remember Betsy Clark? I’ve loved her forever and when Trish was little she made a card for me and put that it was from Besty Clark, so around here, we call her Besty Clark. Anyway, most of my collection is hanging on the walls going down to the basement. Betsy was the forerunner to Precious Moments.

Everything about Betsy is based on the simple things in life and love. One time I was visiting my sister, Ruthie in California and we found a Betsy Clark doll! I think she bought her for me because I’d spent every cent I had to get out there for the visit. For a long time we shared her. When I came to her house I’d bring Betsy to her and leave her until the next time I came and then I’d take her home with me for a few months. Anyway, she’s been at my house for a long, long time and I still love her; she’s a tie and a reminder to me of all the people I love and cherish, starting with my sister. I guess I was thinking of that today because Ruthie is coming to visit here in less than 2 weeks! I’m so excited about that visit that I could just dance! Anyway, today I hung up two of my most recent additions to the Betsy collection; they’d been leaning against the wall for months, and I wanted them to be hung before Ruthie came. Ruthie, take a look at these walls, so you’ll feel at home when we go to the basement.

God bless us all!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Jo!! What a trip down memory lane! I remember the day I bought you that doll and I remember how we used to take turns "baby sitting" her. You left out the part about the little pewter doll on a piece of wood that you would bring and leave with me when you took the doll home! (She may be "Precious Moments"...she is precious, holding a little blue bird on her hand!) The doll ended up with you the last swap and the little pewter doll ended up with me!! I loved your display and can't wait to see it in person!! Thanks for "whetting" my appetite some more and for the fun trip down memory lane! That was so exciting for you to come all the way to Calif to see me!!
    Love you and love you some more!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rithie, I forgot all about the little pewter miss! I guess because she ended up at your house. Yes, I think your visit here will be a trip down memory lane for us. That's why I hope you'll stay a long time; we'll need time for lots of memories, and it'll be fun to sit on the same furniture we sat on when we lived in Murfreesboro, 50 years ago! Are you packed yet? Don't pack much; we'll wash and wear the same thing. Love from me and Betsy. :) MJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Jo you and Ruthie make me so happy and remind me of my Sister that passed away Oct. 31st last year. We always kept little things to remind of our Precious Memories. Once when she was here a year or so ago she bought a little sutffed hippo at the Dollar store because it was on sale for 50 cents and she felt sorry for it because no one wanted it. It had a rip in the back so we mended that and she hung it up in our entrance hall and she told us that is our Mascot. It is still hanging just like she put it. She was so Precious and we were so close. I have a Sweet Sister living in Paducah that comes over and spends a couple days with us often and I love her Dearly but there was just a difference between her and Evelyn! Now, I know you are so excited over Ruthie and Phil coming next week and I am for you. They are such a pleasure to be around and we Love them so much!! I know you all will have a great time. Bless you for the Memory lane with Betsy. I sure do enjoy all your updates and pictures!! You are the Greatest too. Have fun
    We Love You Both
    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dot, it's so good to hear from you! Last year we visited with Don's brother and his daughter and son-in-law. We had lunch at their house and his son-in-law thanked God for the food and for placing us in families! It struck me that I had always taken family pretty much for granted, but God could have put us in herds or something! I am so very grateful for my family and for my friends. How cool is God to give us all this support! We are so blessed. Your body will stay home, but you and Frasier will be coming with Ruthie and Phil in spirit, and we will surely be thinking and talking about you while they are here. You hold the fort there and keep an eye on the blog! Love you, Jo

    ReplyDelete