Sunday, April 1, 2007

A centenial quilt for Oklahoma!

What a beautiful, perfect day it was today! It was so comfortable to be outside. We had no wind, which is way unusual for Oklahoma! Usually, it’s so hot that we need the wind to stay alive, but it was just perfect today! So, I was able to spray the driveway where weeds were having their way. Don was a saint again and pulled a million weeds in the flower garden. I got the rest and then sprayed in lots of places. I’m so pleased to have the flowerbeds in order. WHEW! What a relief! Then as we came in to get cleaned up, he suggested we get started on the Florida room; of course we finished it. WHEW; another big task marked off our list. Well, tomorrow we’ll wash the windows out there, which is two walls, but that’ll be easy with him helping me. Then we’ll be done with that room. That’ll be nice; we can start having breakfast out there! Our drier vents out to the Florida room, and we keep a pair of panty hose on the end of the vent to catch the lint. (That’s the popular Hobart way of doing it; cool, huh? NOT!) Sometime last fall the hose came off the vent and lint was everywhere before we realized it. So it looked terrible out there and really needed cleaning. It’ll be fun to use it, again.

Today’s picture is of an awesome quilt that was made to celebrate Oklahoma’s centennial celebration this year. My good friend, Diana had the idea for women from Hobart to each make a quilt block for a quilt that we would raffle off in the fall to raise money for the city. She did an awesome job of promoting it and getting it completed. I wish the quilt showed good in the picture, but the details don’t show in the picture like they do in real life. These blocks are awesome. One lady’s block has a clothes line on it with a little tiny quilt hanging (literally in 3-D, not just a flat piece, but an actual little quilt hanging there!). Diana got a retired home economics teacher who teaches quilting at the vo-tech to piece the quilt, and then the Mennonite women did a beautiful job of quilting it. It is absolutely gorgeous. The tickets are $5 each and I think the drawing will be this summer or fall, if any of you are hooked on quilts, this one is certainly a one of a kind! Right now it's on display, hanging in the library here in Hobart; we're all really proud of it, and of Diana for making a dream become a reality. (She is married to another one of my classmates from Japan; they moved here a couple of years ago!) Remember, you can click on the pictures and you'll see a bigger picture; that'll help you see this quilt even better.

Have a wonderful week; God bless us all!


4 comments:

  1. MaryJo,
    Yes, I'm still here. I have just had company for a few days (internet friends..yeah I'm very trusting...or maybe just insane). I will get caught up in here. The quilt is beautiful and you know that I really enjoy that it is located in the library. Yeah...for Diana (yes, I know her). She is a super nice lady as is her husband Bob. dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, check out the quilt up close for the 4th square over from the left and the 2nd one down. It's a block that BOB DID! His is the only square done by a GUY! Is he awesome or what? I should have given him credit when I wrote about the quilt. Did you know he is working in Rome right now? Welcome back! I'm right in there with you; I have some wonderful internet friends! Love you, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgosh...is it the one that says "Deputy Marshall"...wow...I'm so proud of you Bob. I had no idea you were a seamstress. Thanks for letting me know about that MaryJo. dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think Bob is a seamstress by any stretch of the imagination; no 'ess' at all. He's a real guy, but he's secure enough to do a girly thing with no fear or threat. We went with him to pick out the fabric, and the whole process was a bit of a comedy. I'll let Diana tell you the story at the next reunion, but I think his mom or his sister ended up helping him really put it together. The one you saw is the right one. The point is that he wanted to participate and make his statement. I thought it was way cool of him to get into the spirit of it and he did really a tremendous effort and the result is beautiful. Diana thoroughly enjoyed his participation. They are such a fun pair; such a chemistry they have going! You ought to come up here and see us AND the quilt! Come spend a weekend . . . oh, drat, Bob is in Rome; he'd die if you came while he's gone, so that'll give you some time to decide to do it! Love you, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete