Sunday, April 13, 2008

Canasta is fun, but counting is tough.



The blog picture tonight is from last night’s canasta game. We played at Jo Ann and Frank’s house and in this picture is Diana and Bob Clark and then Jo Ann and Frank. There were 6 of us at this table and then another 6 behind Frank and I in the kitchen. It was wonderful to get to play again.

Playing canasta I did notice that the chemo brain is certainly still in control of my brain. They say that it will get better and I hope it does, but I can live it if Don can! I have trouble counting and keeping track of things to the point that I notice it. When we played canasta I could really see it. That’s just some of the facts, so I need to share it.

There is a good thing that I haven’t had a chance to mention. Back in the fall I noticed my ears hurting. I thought it was about allergies, although I’ve had allergies all my life and my ears never hurt. Then I thought maybe it was because I use a brick for a pillow (that’s what my friend, Judy calls it) and I was laying on it so much because of my naps. Well, the earaches went away and I forgot about them until a couple of weeks ago they came back! I asked my doctor’s nurse practitioner about it and she said, “It sounds like peripheral neuropathy to me.” That made perfect sense, because I started having trouble with the peripheral neuropathy back in the fall after my treatments of Taxol, then it went away when I took medication for it. I weaned off of the medicine for the neuropathy when my fingers and toes weren’t hurting so badly anymore and that’s when my ears started hurting, again. It’s not any horrible thing and I’ll live with it without medication. I’m just glad to have answers.

Another good thing is that most of my marks are faded/washed off my chest! Woo Hoo! I’m so enjoying my baths, even if they can’t be hot. Warm is good. (I can’t do hot because of the threat of lymphedema.)

It was wonderful to go to church today and feel the love there. People are so good everywhere. I got some really good hugs! I really appreciate God’s plan for putting people in families and then even provided us with a great family where He is our father. Wow!

Don asked me tonight if I’m going to write this blog for the rest of my life. I don’t think so, but I don’t feel like quitting, yet. Somehow I’ll know when it’s time to quit; maybe when nobody is reading it or responding to it then it will be time to quit. It seems to me like I’m still on a learning adventure, so there is still ‘stuff’ to share. Like I started on the Arimidex on Saturday. That’s the pill I take for 5 years. It’s for postmenopausal women who had advanced breast cancer. It has some nasty side effects but none of them are as bad as breast cancer, so I thank God for the opportunity to take it. Maybe I won’t have any side effects! So far I haven’t had any, so I’m hopeful.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jo! I've been watching for your blog message all night....as I said before, "I'm so hooked". I have wondered (and hoped) you would have time in your life to continue with it. After all, you are still on this "learning adventure", and look at all you had to share today! We all love to hear from you and share each day along this journey, but I'm sure none of us "expect" it and want it to be burdensome. I JUST HOPE IT WILL BE IN YOUR PLAN FOR A WHILE!! I love you and thanks so much for sharing! Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom....I really like the blog, although I don't read everyday. I'm just like a little kid I go onto it everyday and look at the pictures....and I scan for good/important stuff! My favorite part is the commments though...THOSE I read! Aunt Ruthie's notes are my favorite. I hope Tricia loves me as much as she loves you when I write a blog someday! :) It's just neat to see the interaction of some of these people with you that I don't even know! I'm so glad that so many people love, care, pray for, and communicate with my mom!

    Give Poppy a hug for me! I'm so glad you all got to be home with your friends!

    JILLY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo! I am so glad you and Don made it home safely and back into the arms of your friends. You did not miss a step getting back into the swing of canasta and fav eating spots!

    Tom and I were watching the travel channel yesterday and there was a group hiking around the Colorado River area and it was really rough, plus six miles in and six miles out! Tom said, "that looks like one of Don's Tours!!"

    Have a great stress-free day, Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are loving being home and that all the treatments are behind you - BUT all the Edmonds are missing you both terribly! Sunday lunch after church was just not the same and everyone in Sunday school was asking about you. But I know it's true, like Dorothy (of Oz fame) said, "There's no place like home!"
    Love you both,
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruthie, thanks for the encouragement to write. I think this must get boring, but it's all new to me so I enjoy sharing it.

    Sorry if I keep you up, but it's hard for me to get it done early. I have so much to do here! I have to rework my priorities and shape up, as Daddy would say.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Sweet Jilly! Thanks for providing me with fun pictures of Elena to use sometimes. I think she has lots of fans among 'my' readers.

    I'm so glad you read the comments. It is the most fun part for me, too. I wondered if anyone looked at them and I wonder if the people who write them see my answers; I hope so.

    I'll keep the pictures coming as best I can. I'm getting more and more hair, and it sure looks to me like it's curling. It was straight at first, but it's looking curly like it was before it fell out (that was the last chemo hair, I think, because my hair never curled like that before). It'll be interesting to see how it grows and works. I wish I had you here to work on it as it grows. You can advise me in June. Maybe I'll have enough for conversation, then.

    Love and miss you,

    Mom

    PS: Pop loves your hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, it was a fast weekend and we did have a blast playing cards and eating out with friends! Jo Ann and Frank even made lunch for us Sunday after church.

    The partying is over for a few days, though. I've got to get this house back in order. All that stuff we took to Houston must go here, somewhere!

    Thanks for your encouragement! Keeping stress-free is my biggest challenge. I get all stressed making things calm and soothing! It's an A personality thing to do, but I'm working on it.

    Come to see us and Don's Tours will show you the secrets of Southwestern Oklahoma. It's pretty awesome here.

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Doris, it's so nice to be missed in Houston! You all (including the Sunday School class) made us feel so at home. It seemed rude to want to come home so badly; we didn't mean to be offensive. It's just that Dorothy was so right!

    Hug Luke and Colter for me. Now, we can't wait to see them, again. July will be here before we know it and they'll BOTH be walking when we come back! I hope they'll recognize me with some hair!

    Love you all!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete