Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Memories are precious!


The picture on the blog tonight was taken of Bruce pitching at one of the games on Saturday this past weekend. He’s a great all around player. Most of the guys on the team can pitch because they play so many games in a weekend that they have to have plenty of pitchers. It’s amazing to me how versatile they all are.

Today we went to Altus to have my eyes checked. Chemo is hard on vision, so I didn’t even have them checked last year. I figured it would be a waste of time and money, so I just used reading glasses when I couldn’t see well enough. The news about my eyes was that the distance hasn’t changed and the close up could be corrected with a new perscription. That was very nice! I have cataracts, but they are too small to remove; they were started 2 years ago when I saw this doctor last, so they are not growing rapidly. He made some kind of picture of my whole eye and he could see that there is no glaucoma or macular degeneration starting, so that is all very good news. It’s so nice to go to a doctor and get good news! God amazes me every day!

I was reading a devotional today and Max Lucado reminded me that God’s gifts are so abundant. Like He didn’t have to give us mountains and valleys or colors; He could have made the world flat and all black and white. He didn’t have to make the squirrel have a fluffy tail; He didn’t even have to make the squirrels. I have been known to complain about squirrels when they were wolfing down all my birdseed, but I should have been complaining about them stealing the birdseed only. Every day there is so much for which to give thanks.

After lunch we walked a square mile. We live on the last street in town, so we walk a mile west, a mile north, a mile back east, and then a mile south (roughly). It’s a nice walk when it’s not too hot, and today was perfect for it. I am so grateful to be able to walk those 4 miles! There are so many blessings in these gifts. (Besides, no dog even chased us! Yesterday we were walking right in town where there is a leash law and someone’s bulldog scared me to death. He nipped at my fingers until I held my arm up over my head and then he nipped at my calf. I nearly jerked Don’s arm off, but he kept calmly walking until the dog was satisfied that we were out of his territory. If I had been by myself . . . I shudder to think. I won’t go there by myself for another decade or so, I imagine. Being bitten by a dog is worse than breast cancer, chemo and radiation; I remember, but I won’t bore you with THOSE details. God gave us a memory, and I’ll use mine as long as I can, with thanksgiving!)

No comments:

Post a Comment