Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Raynie is fine.



Here is Raynie and Trish today after Raynie’s surgery. Whew! What a day! Trish has some really cute pictures of Raynie BEFORE the surgery, but I don’t have them on my computer. She’s doing really well. It was not so simple this morning, though. They came out and told us the surgery was done and Trish and Rob went in to see her in recovery. When they got back there, she had started bleeding again and they couldn’t stop it, so they had to take her back into surgery and redo a portion. It’s more complicated than that, but we were pretty shook about it. They took her in for another 45 minutes. When she came out that time, she did real fine. She whines a little sometimes when she swallows, but mostly she sleeps. Someone holds her all the time, so we’re all liking that part. The freaky part was when she kept having to be in surgery.

I kind of melted down. I did fine until I had to call Gretta to tell her. I knew I had to call her because she was expecting us to call when the surgery was over. If I didn’t call her she’d think something was wrong worse than it was. When I called I got her voice mail and talking to that was hard. I broke down and cried and then I felt terrible to be leaving an awful message like that. It’s not very convincing to tell her everything is fine when I’m crying! I told Don he’d have to call her the next time and he said that would scare her worse; she’d think if he called it must really be bad news. I really felt so terrible because Raynie was really fine; she just had a little complication but I was falling apart! If I’d been there with Gretta when she LOST her son I would have been totally worthless and even a liability to them. I felt like I really let her down. Of course she was an angel and called me back and told me not to even frett about it. I think I just needed a melt down. I think I lumped in all the stresses of the last couple of years and crashed today. No doubt it was good for me. It only happened when I called Gretta, so I wasn’t too bad for Trish and Rob. They held up beautifully.

All the kids went to a friend’s home who have 5 children around the ages of all Trisha’s kids. They loved being there. We picked up Grace and Mason and brought them with us to spend the night at the hotel with us. They loved swimming in the pool and eating at the Sonic. The big kids will spend the night at that same friend’s house and we’ll pick them up in the morning before lunch. Then we’ll go spend the afternoon at their house and play cards all afternoon. Hopefully Trish and Rob will be able to bring Raynie home tomorrow afternoon. They’re spending the night in the hospital with her.

There are hard times, but I find comfort in knowing that God is in control through all the bad times as well as the good times, and He gives us the support we need to make it through the tough times. We’re so sad to have lost Gretta’s baby Leo and I don’t have any sweet answers for that loss; all I know is that Leo is with God and he won’t have any struggles. I thank God for the memories we treasure of our hopes and dreams for him. I thank Him for the recovery that Gretta and Joe are making. I thank Him for taking care of Raynie today and for the recovery that she will have over the next few weeks. I thank Him for all our kids and their abilities as wonderful parents. I thank Him for the recovery I’ve had and ask Him to continue to watch over us over the rest of our lives. I thank Him for our safe travels and ask Him to continue to keep us safe as we travel to Houston. Thank you for sharing my prayers.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Jo...I'm so glad to hear "Ranie is fine"; I thought about her and all of you as you stood by all day today. I was axious, but knew you'd tell us how she was on your blog. That "melt down" you spoke about was probably something that needed to happen and now you'll be "all better". I'm sorry....wish I could be there to give you a hug at least. Just keep on thanking God and remember nothing is going to happen that you and Him can't handle!

    I love you!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maryjo..that was so heart wrenching. I can see how you lost it...just everything from the past couple of years just hit you at one time. I'm so happy that things went well with Raynie...she has the right kind of family to support her. dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jo,
    Did you think I'd forgotten you all so quickly? Never, life has just been busy. When I read your blog to catch up since Reunion, I realize life has really been busy for your family, too. First, am so glad little Raynie's surgery went well. Two weeks is a long time to keep little hands from getting in the mouth. I had no idea she had the problem, but happy to know the surgical procedure could take care of it. I had learned that Gretta's little Leo was stillborn, and was so sad. When such happens, we can't help but wonder why. You spoke of your melt down.... it was about time. You have been through so much. Thank you for explanation regarding the two types of cancer you had. If you had mentioned that before, it escaped me. Also, I loved the picture you found of you at 26 with your precious girls. My goodness, doesn't time fly by. Like I can hardly realize that come August 5, I will be 80. Unreal!! I attended my 60th class reunion last Sat. and one of the class members that I went to school with for the entire 12 years, said that I looked like my mother and he had never seen it before. I think it is the wrinkles going south that made him think that. Laura and Paul had the twins 1-year celebration last Sat. It was a week early, but a convenient time for the family. I still have not seen them. I keep hearing, "Maybe in a month or so." They are still so very fragile. If I understood it correctly little Leo was born July 6, and should have waited until Nov. Elizabeth came July 22, and should have waited until Oct. Brayden came July 25, and Spencer likewise, but he just couldn't make it. Brayden is wearing glasses. Did Alice tell you that at the reunion. How on earth can a doctor tell at that age he needed glasses? Just can't imagine any type of test for such. I apologize for this long delay in reading your blog, but all I can say is with trying to keep a house decent, cut two acres, get to church and all the in betweens, I am too tired after watering at dusk to think of anything except getting horizontal. Sometimes, food is just too much effort. Just know I love you and all your family. Everytime I see you, I think of your mother as you are so much alike in looks. Take care of yourself and I hope the "healing" of all the hurting will be as quickly as possible. Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Ruthie! Thanks for your encouragement. I thought of you bunches as we were there and I knew you had us on your mind. Everytime Grace makes me smile I think of you saying she always makes you smile. She's such a hoot and keeps us all grinning.

    I am also thanking God for good friends who kept the kids while we were at the hospital and even had the big kids spend the night at their house. Then more friends brought dinner to Trish and Rob's house tonight. God sends the help, doesn't he?

    Love and miss you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana, thanks so much for 'being there' with us. You are such a dear to always be there for me and I love you for it!

    Whew; a good melt down was good for me!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evelyn, I didn't think for a minute that you'd forgotten us. I know you are busy up past your hat! I know you're still keeping us in your thoughts.

    I haven't had time to write more than the blog, either. Our lives are so full of family and we thank God for that.

    Yes, you do look like Aunt Lucy and that's precious! Get some help with all that work you're doing, though! There's a lot of summer and grass left; please get some help! I'm proud of you for doing it, but I'd be even more proud if you got some help! I know that's easier to say than do, sometimes, though!

    Thanks for keeping an eye on us when you get time. I know you love us all the time!

    We love you, too!

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete