Friday, July 11, 2008

Two years ago; now.



There are two pictures on the blog tonight. When I look back a few months and see how peeked I looked while undergoing chemo it sort of freaks me. I felt better than I looked, I think. So, tonight I went back to BEFORE I started all this, thinking I’d look better. I guess I looked better than when I had no hair, but it’s making me think I won’t go back to make up, after all. The first picture was taken the 1st of June of 2006, and it has me in full eye make up and the gap in my teeth shows. I must have been hiding behind all that eye make up. That’s my real hair, though. The second picture was last week, and that’s my new hair after chemo, and NO gap in my teeth. I was considering going back to some eye make up, but I’m thinking I’ll keep it easy and enjoy rubbing my eyes! Anyway, that’s my thought process, as I get ready to pack to go to Bruce’s world series for his age in Tulsa. I’m not taking any make up!

We finished up with vacation Bible school today. Maybe the big people learned more than the kids. I hope the kids learned as much as I did. It was a cool week for me. I had time to finish reading The Shack and it fit right in with the spirit I saw in the kids and the lessons we had about God’s Big Back Yard. The Shack was a totally separate thing I was reading, but it fit right in with the lessons on pure love and also with the traumas that have happened in our lives in the last couple of years. Thanks, sweet Terri for sharing it with me! I thank our God for Terri in my life, for this week of VBS, for the chance to heal from breast cancer, the opportunity to stand back and take a look at who I am, the opportunity to live this life some more and for you who care enough to come and check on us.

6 comments:

  1. I looked at those pics and thought the same thing - the eye makeup is just not necessary. Think of the money you'll save not buying makeup! Think of the soap and water you'll save not washing it off! Think of the stress you won't have not worrying about how it looks/is it running/gotta hurry and get it done so I can leave the house! Oh my! I can't believe you ever wor makeup at all!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAY BETTER WITHOUT THE MAKEUP! YOU ARE A NATURAL BEAUTY! JUST LIKE YOUR DAUGHTERS! :) I love you Mommy! You look GREAT!

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought you were a natural beauty and you have THE LONGEST eyelashes, so they will make your eyes look good even without makeup. It's your sweet, caring outlook and smile that makes your beauty anyway you look at it! (I agree with you, Gretta, you're all naturally beautiful to me in so many ways!)

    We're looking forward to you and your friends coming when you have your check-up. If you all want to spend a night or two here when you go to the hospital, we would all love it. It would be closer for you.

    Raynie is a doll and we will be keeping her (and all her caretakers) in our prayers.

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish, you make me feel good about going with no make up. The ease of not having to stress with applying it and wearing it is something I love! I love the freedom to rub my eyes!

    Thanks for the encouragement!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, Jilly! Thanks for the fun compliment. For sure our daughters are natural beauties! It's so great to have you post on the blog and thanks so much for encouraging me to go natural!

    Love you,

    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Doris, it's so good to hear from you. I love it that you agree with the girls and think I can go without eye make up. I've sure gotten spoiled and was having a hard time getting braced to start it again.

    We're looking forward to coming to Houston. It's great to have reasons besides MD Anderson! We can hardly wait to see the boys; we know they've grown so much and wonder if they'll remember us. I think they might.

    Thanks for the invitation to stay with you, but I think we'll be okay coming in from Montgomery. We'll give you a break this time, but there'll be plenty of more times over the next many years that we'll take you up on your hospitality.

    We're also looking forward to church at Bammel! You all made us feel at home there.

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete