Thursday, May 21, 2009

First magnolia bloom of 09


One of my all time favorite things is the magnolia bloom. I love the look and I love the smell. Back in the 80’s we moved to a house in Oklahoma City that had an atrium between the master bedroom and bath and it had a magnolia tree in it. I fell in love with that tree. When we left that house to move to Louisiana, I told Don any house would be fine as long as there was a magnolia tree in the yard. That was easy in Baton Rouge! Just in case I planted a second one there! Anyway, in every house where we’ve lived since then, the first thing we do is plant a magnolia tree. In both houses where we’ve lived, here in Hobart, the wind has blown the top out of them. The one in this yard it blew the whole tree off, leaving just a trunk about 3 feet tall and about 3 inches in radius. My neighbors thought I was crazy to keep fertilizing and watering what looked like a broken broom handle. I was convinced it had a good root system, so I pampered it and today it’s my pride and joy. It is full of blooms and the first one opened today. Of course I rushed right out there and got it to bring into the house. It’s pretty battered from this year’s tempestuous winds, but I’m still proud of it and the fragrance is awesome! So, here’s the picture of my first magnolia bloom for the year.


We are doing fine. I am so grateful to God for lots of strength and energy. I got Dorothy’s alterations finished yesterday and she is so pleased to have things that fit her better. I’m doing a bunch for me tonight. I wonder how people who don’t sew manage. I thank God for 6 years of home economics that helped me to know my way around with a needle and thread and a sewing machine.


I know you have a big Memorial Day coming up, but save this link and look at it when you have some time. I think there is hours of videos here, and these girls are good enough to watch for hours. If you have dial up, forget this, but if you have high speed go watch these girls. They are the King’s Firecrackers from Cincinnati, Ohio. I’d sure love to see them in person. We have two daughters who live in Indiana and Kentucky, so maybe we can see these girls perform sometime when we are in their area visiting our girls. These girls jump rope like nobody’s business!


http://soonereyo.blip.tv/#1762059)

2 comments:

  1. Oh thats funny MaryJo. I took my "first magnolia of 2009" about 2 weeks ago. Just guess what I labeled it...same as you. I'll send you a pic of mine. I loved the part about the 3 foot broom..I'm glad you hung in there. Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Dana, you took my breath again. That magnolia bloom of yours is something else! Girl, you are so good with the camera, too! Don't you love the fragrance?

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete