Saturday, May 2, 2009

Nate is the real treat today.

I found the camera! It was in the van that we don’t use around town much. I don’t even remember when I put it in there, but it was there and I was so happy to find it. The picture tonight Don took just a few minutes ago when I was relaxing after the garage sale. What a day!

We got up at 5 so that we could pick up my precious friend, Joan and take her to breakfast with us. We knew we needed a good start on the day to make it. Joan is the BEST kind of friend, and I thank God for her. When we first moved to Hobart, she lived in the house across the street from us. It was like moving across the street from an angel. If I went out into the yard to dig, I’d look up and there she’d be standing with her shovel. If I pulled the ladder out to a tree to trim it, she’d come and hold the ladder. If I trimmed the hedge, she’d appear with her clippers. We worked together like a hand and glove. When we moved to this house, she’s not as able to know when we needed her, but she does a pretty good job of knowing when we need her. When I said I was having the garage sale, she said, “I’ll come and help.” It’s so much more fun to do something that’s not so fun when there is someone there who can make it fun. Joan is also the person who keeps an eye on the house when we’re gone; monitors our mail, etc. She’s the BEST.

Anyway, it was really cold today. It was raining when we got up, and it misted all day. The wind blew and it was just downright chilly all day. We wore jackets and I kept warming rice and corn buddies for us to hold all day. We even let people who came and shopped hold our buddies when they appeared to be cold. So, we had fun in spite of the cold and the work. We sold a lot of ‘stuff.’ I was so thrilled to see some of the things I really liked find a new home. Mostly it was thrilling to see it leave. I didn’t make a lot of money, but that wasn’t the point. The point was to have things leave gracefully. For example, I had a collection of brass ducks that I really liked, but I’d much rather dust pictures of the grandkids than those ducks, let alone shine them! So, I was so happy to find homes for things like that.


I’ve had a bath and I’m ready to go to bed early. Now, here is the real treat for the day. If you are on dial up, you may want to just take my word for this. However, if you have high speed, you may want to go watch a video of our grandson, Nate, singing! I don’t know the occasion of this singing, but I can tell you that he has an awesome voice and he made me really proud today when I saw this video. He’s a great all-American kind of kid. He’s 17 and he doesn’t require much attention. He plays great hand and foot canasta and great Rook. He makes us proud as a Civil Air Patrol member, and we knew he sang in the choir at school, and knew he has a great voice, but this song took my breath today. It’s one thing to sing ALONG with the choir, but to stand up in front of folks with a microphone and sing a patriotic song well is pretty awesome to me. Most people would rather jump off a bridge than do that and even if they wanted to sing in front of people they couldn’t sing the right words and notes. I’m just amazed and so proud. His mother has a blog, which is generally about her quilting, but she puts fun things on about the kids. That’s where this video is. You may get hooked on her blog; she’s pretty creative, too! Here is the address for her blog:



http://knottypineunderground.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. Now this is funny MaryJo....we have a blog that combines the sexiest grandma in the world lounging in a bubble bath...and her grandson singing God Bless America. How much more perfect can life be? Seriously...Nate does a wonderful job singing..his voice is beautiful. Yes, it takes guts to sing in front of a crowd (like I would know anything about this). Wonderful post. dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, you always make me smile! Thanks for noting Nate's ability with me. However it's a bit negated when you call me sexy! HA! What a sense of humor you have; I love it and you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete