Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

Relax. I didn’t cut my hair. This was taken a year ago, today. I remember putting on this shirt to go to our fellowship breakfast at church. It looked like a shirt hanging on a broom, so I added some shoulder pads. It looked 100 times better, and I was perfectly okay with that. Then it dawned on me that adding the prosthesis wouldn’t be any phonier than adding the shoulder pads. So I put on the ‘loaded’ bra. It was the first time I really felt comfortable in the ‘loaded’ bra. I wear it all the time, now without even a thought. Well, lots of times I forget it and I never give that a thought, either. This was before Judy talked me into wearing eye makeup, too. I think I look a little like I’m walking through a mine field, too. Probably I was. It kind of feels like that when I’m constantly on the alert for some sign that the cancer is back. They say I’ll get over that, but I haven’t yet. I don’t worry about it, but I think it’s being responsible to keep alert.

Today was another cool day, here. I’m wondering whatever happened to global warming. My flowers are in a state of dismay. The irises have bloomed, but they are not vigorous or abundant. I had plenty, but I’m sure they’ve suffered due to the many cold days we’ve had. My magnolia tree is loaded with blooms, but they aren’t close to opening. This time 2 years ago I had an arrangement of magnolia blooms on the dining room table. Things change. I love being able to compare times and changes. Mostly I love being able to recover and be alive! I thank God so much for His gifts to me. Mother’s day is a wonderful day to contemplate the joys of life; family and children are right up there at the top with the grandkids! Since I discovered cancer in my breast 2 ½ years ago many people I know have died; I feel so blessed to still be alive and to be so well. Thank you for caring and reading my musings.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate you and I too am glad you are here! You are a great example of life after cancer. It's a pleasure to see your life through a looking glass (blog). After going through all that you and I have endured, it's nice to see you thriving and full of life. Keep up the good work!
    Love,
    Wendy's Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Becky! It's so very good to hear from you! I know you think of our Wendy so often, as I do. She was such a blessing to both of us. I pray that I can live my life in such a way as to honor her example of life and death to us.

    Are you doing well? I sure hope so!

    Love you,

    Wendy's Jo

    ReplyDelete