Friday, May 22, 2009

Remember the ones who paid for our freedom!


Red shirt Friday! I’m all ready for Trish and Rob and the youngest 5 of their kids to get here. They have end of the year parties tonight, so they can’t leave Oklahoma City until 8:30. They’ll be here around 11. I’ve got plenty to do to keep me busy until they get here, but I can hardly wait. It seems like forever since spring break when we had a great visit.

Today Don helped our neighbor move to Altus, so he was tied up until after noon. I spent the day piddling around here knotting up loose ends the best I could.

Last night I got up from the sofa and my knee gave away on me! It was just like when I was in Houston and my knee kept going out on me. I went to the chiropractor’s office first thing this morning. He gave me a treatment and sent me away with my usual diagnosis; strained ligaments in my leg. It’s been much better today and I’m sure I can make it through the weekend after his help. We figured out what we think caused it. Right after my surgery I had to sleep flat on my back and it really was uncomfortable for my back and knees. There was a wedge pillow in the apartment that someone before us had left; it was still in the plastic and had never been used. I put it under my knees and it was sweet relief for my back and knees. That’s when my knee started giving me big problems, though! After the drains came out I was able to sleep on my side a little if I used that wedge at my back instead of under my knees. On my side I could bend my knees, though, so I could be comfortable. My knees got better as mysteriously as they got bad. Well, my knees have been bothering me, so I thought of that wedge pillow and used it for the last couple of nights, and then, BOOM! There went my knee, again. It dawned on me that the wedge was messing with my knee. Sure enough, the doctor agreed that I should not use it under my knees anymore and that using it was probably what put my knee over the edge. At least we figured out what was causing the problem.


So, I didn’t walk today, but I’ll probably make up for it tomorrow! We have a really big day planned in Hobart. I’ll tell you all about it over the next few days. The main thing for us is that Trish and her family are coming. We’ll miss all the rest of the family, but it’s great to have some be able to be here.


I’m headed back to the basement; still working on alterations for me. I sure thank God that I can see well enough to do it and that I can use my fingers so much better than when I had the neuropathy. I’m so grateful to have the use of my hands and even wobbly knees!

No comments:

Post a Comment