Sunday, June 21, 2009

A fun day in Kona.

I know it’s so late there, but this is my first chance to post on the blog today. Probably you are used to reading it the next day by now. I’ll do it early when I can, but that may not be so often because we stay really busy until it’s time to wind down for the day.

This picture is one Mary took last night when they took us out to The Bamboo to eat. It’s a really nice restaurant, here in Hawi, and they have wonderful entertainment. John Keawe sings and plays and his beautiful wife does the hula. They are raising two beautiful granddaughters, and they also did hula dances for us. I’d guess they are about 9 and 6; the dancers made the whole entertainment awesome. We’ve seen these people perform before when we were here and they are favorites, so we really enjoyed the night.

Today we went to pick up the rental car for Steve and Mary, and then we did Kona things. Kona things would be like shopping the tourist traps and shopping for necessities like soap, corn meal, and bread. After we got the shopping done we went with Steve and Mary while they snorkeled. We were happy to watch them and all the other people, while I made phone calls. Once a week I call back to go over the mail with Joan so she’ll know what needs to be forwarded and what can stay there. Saturday and Sunday are free cell phone calls, plus I had coverage in Kona and it’s so hard to get coverage out here. I talked with Dorothy and she and David are doing well. I thank God for great friends at home and here.

I talked to Gretta after she and Elena had gone to the family reunion, so that was fun. We hated to miss it, but I was sure glad she could go collect and distribute hugs for us.

After snorkeling and phone calls, we picked up Bob’s car and came back by a hike to a big petroglyph field (ancient rock carvings). From there we came on home and started dinner while Steve and Mary stopped by a couple of other places on the way home. They’ve got to see everything they want to see before they go home this Friday, and we’ve got another 7 weeks, so we can take it easier. Tomorrow they’re going on their helicopter ride and to some other adventures, but we’re staying home to rest. We’re doing fine, but we just don’t have to be in such a rush. They know their way, so they can go without us. I’m so grateful to have plenty of time here and not have to make a rushed trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment