Sunday, June 14, 2009

Needles.


Is this picture freaky? It’s my back with acupuncture needles in it. Bob’s fiance, Mimi, is a jack of all trades. I’m serious. She does just about everything. She put these needles in my back last night to relieve my back pain, and it did a wonderful job! I wasn’t hurting any more than usual, but it was such a nice relief to have this treatment. After the acupuncture she gave me a brief massage and I slept like a contented baby. I always do sleep well, but I woke up feeling sooooooo good! Thank you, Mimi!

This morning we went to church with Bob and Mimi and it was another treat. Of course, everyone was so friendly and the sermon was wonderful. The preacher has just been through 3 months of being very sick, surgery, a fall, etc. His lesson was wonderful for me. I felt like I was really on the same page with him. One of his 6 points was to go on faith, not on feelings. Expounding on that concept he said, “It’s better to act your way into a better way of feeling than it is to feel your way into a better action.” I think he’s so right. I’ve found that if I don’t feel so good, it’s better to find something good about it and go with that like I feel good. That works so much better than to feel bad and just sit and hope it will get better.

Another one of his points was to accept God’s plan. We do the best we can, but knowing that God is in charge is really a relief. It’s hard to be old, I’m finding. Either we have our own health issues, or the people we know and love have health issues and we ache with them. Many people we know and love DIE, and that’s heartbreaking. It’s God’s plan for us to be human, though, and humans have health issues and die. I’m working on my attitude to learn to accept these things better. I’m so happy to be surviving and I thank God for giving me another chance at life and for being in charge of my life. God made us and He gave us feelings, so I think it’s okay to have feelings. Jesus wept when his friend died; he did go on with life, though. I guess it’s okay to be heartbroken, but the deal is to get over it. God gave us that ability, too, so I’m claiming it.

4 comments:

  1. I never know what I'm going to see on here Maryjo...this was different..but fun. Hey, whatever works. I've not tried this..but I would give it a chance. Looking forward to Hawaii adventure pictures. dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mom! I'm going to the reunion Saturday. All is well from my accident, we are all good and okay, but I was so shaken up that I hit a curb so hard that I ruined the new tire on my car from the previous week and the one on the back. Oh well.

    I will soon get you pics of Elena to post, her haircut is so cute. Joe is in Louisville at the Funeral HOme and working out arrangements for Bernie's remains with the track. I'll keep you updated.

    I go back to the doctor tomorrow, I will let you know what she says and I see my surgeon on thursday....I'll let you know about that too, although I'm not the least bit concerned.

    Still praying that we can come see you. Garrett got an F on his report card, so I'm having a hard time rewarding him with a trip to Hawaii, but you only live once, and now I know how I made you all feel when I got mine. :)

    I love you! Daddy too! HUGS and KISSES!

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, these needles WERE an adventure! Ha! No kidding, it did really work, too. My back is not hurting, yet. It won't repair the damage that is there, but it, obviously, does give temporary relief. Mimi does a great job!

    Like you said, you never know what to expect on this blog! I'd sure like to get a great picture of one of these chameleons, but they move so quickly!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jilly. Thanks for the more detailed report of the accident. I just have to be so glad that it's the tires that are ruined and not someone's leg or neck!

    Doctors? Surgeon? Now you have me really wondering what's happening. I look forward to updates about these.

    I sure look forward to pictures of Elena and a new haircut. I want pictures of Garrett without his braces, too, remember!

    And that F. Isn't it amazing that he can be on the honor roll and then get an F. I know it's the turning in of work that gets them. Why is it that kids don't get that it's their own nose they're bashing when they just don't turn in their work? That always gets me.

    I must have really put you on a guilt trip if you're still sweating that F (those?). That was a hundred years ago and we all survived. Forget it, but enjoy being a mother. :) No kidding. An F is not the end of the world, but a car wreck could be, so let's count our blessings. If you can make it this time, great; if not, I betcha we'll come again.

    Love you,

    Mom (and Dad loves you, too)

    ReplyDelete