Monday, August 10, 2009

Happy Birthday, Doris!



Doris, these flowers are for your birthday! I'm enjoying them for you. I know you love cut flowers like I do, so I hope you like these. When we first started this 'sit' Karen had a beautiful arrangement for us. It lasted for a little over 2 weeks, but when it just couldn't stand alone any longer, I pulled out the dead stuff and added to what was left from the yard. That has really been fun, because there are some beautiful flowers in the yard. I don't know what they are, but I'm enjoying them. I figured the wind from tomorrow's storm will get a lot, so I had fun cutting today.

I got up before church this morning and did two loads of laundry. They told us today would be beautiful, so I figured I'd better get the wash done while I could. (It takes most of the day to dry, so if I'd waited until after church it wouldn't have all dried; you know our sweats had to be dry for sleeping!) I expect a lot of rain and wind the next couple of days. We're ready. I filtered a bunch of water today and filled every jar I could find. This place is small and Karen isn't a pack rat; she keeps only what she needs, so she didn't have any jars. I've been here 3 weeks, though, so I had quite a collection going. Ha! They recycle here, so I had everything washed to recycle, so it was handy enough. I'm not sure how the recycling works, so I was washing it to leave for her to do whatever is supposed to be done with it. It's handy to have it to fill with water in case we lose water. If we lose power, we'll be in trouble, but not serious trouble. We have peanut butter. We'll lose whatever is in the freezer and fridge; but we can work with that. We think it's not going to be that bad, but we're braced. We have peanut butter (Raynie would say peammmmmm butter.) and we have plenty of drinking water. We'll manage and thank God for safety. I thank Him for a beautiful day today to get ready for a couple of stormy days.

We've been laughing as we begin to wind down for our last week. Most people come and only have a week to be here, so we've been so fortunate to have two months here. It's been a grand time, but we're like horses who smell the barn: we're ready to go home. Our memory foam is missing us and I'll be so glad to have a bath after 3 weeks of only showers. One more week of showers and then I get a nice bath. That'll be a treat!
PS: Connie, I've answered you, but your mail keeps coming back to me. I can't get on facebook, either. This blog seems to be working, but we have some problems for some reason. When the storm hits I may not be able to post or send or receive mail. Everyone hang tough with us and take no news as good news. If we get blown away it'll be all over the news. God will take care.

2 comments:

  1. You blog is wonderful! It has been so much fun touring the big island with you and reading every detail. I can see Karen's cottage would have worked out just fine. Take care with the storm and hurry back to Houston. Much love....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my great friend, Judy, who sat through EVERYTHING with Don and I at MD Anderson. Remember pictures of the two of us when she was even sharing her hair when I had none! I even stayed at her house when we were hanging really close to MDA with the biopsy. She's a friend that goes back to times when we both went to school with Bob Dwyer. Judy, it's so good to have you post! I can hardly wait to see you in a couple of weeks in Houston!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete