Thursday, August 20, 2009

The 'magic' moss hole.





This is another time it takes two pictures to appreciate either one, so hang tough with me all of you on dial up! These pictures I took on our last day as we toured beaches around Kona. I'm not sure exactly where this was, but I was in awe at this growth of some kind of moss and how it was totally covered as the waves rushed in and then when they pulled back out to the ocean this big hole and moss appeared. I climbed out onto the lava to get these pictures. It was pretty scary because my hiking stick was packed, but I HAD to do it. Don stood on the beach shaking his head and rolling his eyes. He has such a big job containing me, sometimes.



Today was blood drive day in Hobart. I couldn't give blood, but Don could. I went and helped serve cookies and juices and pop to the donors. It was a fun thing to do. The first half hour or so I got to keep a two year old on my lap while his parents gave blood. His little 1 year old brother was content to stay in his stroller, but I had my hands full with the bigger brother. He knew how to give me five and he was pretty amazed with counting to five when I used my whole hand full of 5 fingers to tickle him when we got to the magic five. The little brother was mostly amused with watching us, thankfully! There were a couple of bigger kids who helped by watching the one in the stroller, as did another lady from church when she could get away from the serving 'job.'



I have to tell you the results of the mice saga. I cleaned out all their food supply, so they might be getting weak. I haven't seen them anymore. Likely they don't like us invading 'their' space, either. I was pleased when we got up this morning that there were 2 in the sticky traps. The regular traps that I set were not tripped, but the popcorn I'd put on there for bait was gone. So, I went to Wal-Mart and bought more sticky traps and put them beside the ones loaded with popcorn. I'll get those rascals!



The AC man came today and pronounced our AC dead and not repairable. That's not good, but it was not a surprise. We've been limping along with it for the last few years and knew that it's lifetime was limited. He's working up an estimate for us on a replacement unit. It's not good news, but we aren't emotionally attached to the AC, so we just have to pay for it. We won't be mourning it's loss. I think that's a good thing. There are lots worse things than having to buy something expensive. You know facing breast cancer was a worse thing, and we've lived through that. Facing death of loved ones is certainly a worse thing and we've had to do that. Everything is relative, so this is tough, but it's not the toughest thing.



I thank God that he gives us the strength to face what we need to face. I ask Him to help me to keep priorities straight in my life and thank Him for so many rich blessings. We're blessed that the AC in our bedroom and bathroom, which we added several years ago, is working, so we have a cool place to sleep and go to when the heat in here is too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment