Thursday, October 14, 2010

Almost done . . .

So tonight's picture is the happy moment when they got the piece up there. Nate is behind his dad leading the cheers, it appears. Rob is on the left figuring out where the studs are and Gabe is on the right. Nate remarked, "Ever notice how we never dress for work? Check out the sheet rock dust on Gabe's all black and Rob's shirt! It was some struggle because Rob had to cut out one corner and then the other corner should have fit, but it didn't, so he had to customize it as well as trim off a curve in the ceiling. That would be hard to do if it was flat on the floor, but it was out of reach. So, he'd take it down and trim and then put it back up there and each move was so difficult! He had the one ladder and Gabe was standing on a kitchen stool which barely stands! I was holding one side up with the broom stick! I'm sure we were a comedy to watch. But, we got it DONE. This house is 80 years old, so it's not exactly built to current codes. Rob kept hunting a stud to hold up the sheet rock and so many times it was NOT there. He was never in the Navy, but I learned that he could have kept up had he been. Wait until you see tomorrow's picture of the completed ceiling; you'll be impressed, I think. I am. I thank God for a son-in-law who can fix things, even when it's not simple and for grandsons who will help, even when it's not easy. These guys are so strong, I'm amazed!

Trish is doing better and better. She still can't eat much, so she's pretty weak. The drugs keep her from having so much pain, but her throat is so swollen that swallowing is difficult. The drugs also keep her drugged, so I'm here to drive if necessary. I also do laundry, meals and general upkeep. (even ceiling repair) Rob left today to go to Chicago on business and Nate is back at OU, so there are just Trish and I and 5 kids. I miss Don, but he's managing fine at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment