Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The scoop.

So sorry, there is no picture tonight.  We've just finished at MD Anderson and will head to Branson asap.  We'll get as far as we can and then stop for the night, but I wanted to write this now so those of you who are waiting for results won't have such a long wait.  I am on the 6th floor at MD Anderson at some very slow computers they provide; I'm grateful for them!

The cancer has spread to my liver and bones.  It is in my skull (because that is bone) but it is NOT in my brain.  It may be in my lungs, but they are not sure of that.  They will watch it closely.  They started me today on an infusion to strengthen my bones and prevent it from getting worse.  They also started me on a hormone which was a shot in each hip.  It took until now to get all that done.  We're heading out of here asap so we can get to Branson and check in tomorrow, only 2 days late.  :)  I'm just thrilled that we get to go!

I will have another treatment in Springfield or Branson, wherever I can find an oncologist.  Then in a month I will have another treatment in Lawton with the doctor who did much of my chemo treatments in 2007.  In 2 months I will return to MD Anderson for my oncologist to repeat all these tests and determine if these treatments have stabilized the cancer.  If they have, then he says I can live for year after year with these treatments.  If my cancer does not respond to these treatments, then we will do chemo, again.  We'll keep working until we find something to which my body responds well.  If we are unable to find anything that will stabilize the cancer then it will kill me within 2 years.  I'm so glad to be at MD Anderson where I feel very comfortable with their care and direction.  God has me right where He wants me.  I trust Him to give me direction and I will do my best to follow His lead.  Thank you all for your love and prayers.   What we pray for is strength and courage for Lee and I to get through this and for a treatment plan that will arrest the cancer growth.  I feel good and confident.   I'll be on tomorrow with pics we got today.  I just don't have access to pictures on this computer.  God bless!

10 comments:

  1. We are all at your side MaryJo. Only YOU would go to all this trouble to try and put all of us in the "know". The rest of us are probably too self centered to think of others at a time like this. Only you and your loving and giving self. Keep the attitude you have (and I know you will)...hang in there kid....hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, thanks so much for always being so count-on-able! I love the concept of you all at my side; it's exactly how I feel you there! I need you guys to all know what's happening because I need your support. You never let me down! Love you tons!

      Delete
  2. Sweet Mary Jo...just like Dana said, only you would be thinking of others at a time like this. Please know that you are in all our prayers. Lee, too. You are an inspiration to us all. It is all in God's hands. He is the Great Physician and He will see you through this. I love you.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, doll! I love you so much and appreciate your love and prayers. You are so right, our awesome God is the Great Physician, so I'm in great hands! I love you tons!

      Delete
  3. I, too, am glad you are at MD for treatment but I disagree with doctor's...they are not in control of your length of life...we know who is so get that out of your head! You will respond and live a long and happy life with Lee and God by your side. Enjoy your time in Branson.

    Love ya, Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. I think he was just being real straight with me because I asked him to be. I wanted to know what kind of hope he thought I had; of course, I can hope and dream as big as I want! I think he also wanted to stress that we don't have time to mess around; we need to get right with the program. We've done that and, so far, so good. Love you so much!

      Delete
  4. MJ .... thank you for the update and ONLY YOU can do in your special way ! You are an amazing woman and I know you are going get through this again. Will be saying extra prayers for you each and every night. You are always in my thoughts. Love and hugs to you my friend
    Nancy and (David) Hugs to Lee too !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy and David, you guys are such a tremendous support. I know that you have clues about how it feels to be looking death right in the face. It's sobering. I treasure the opportunity it gives me to prioritize and not waste any of life!

      Thanks for your compliments, too. When I was a kid they called me Pollyanna. I think I'm still that kid. They say that by the time a child is 3 60% of their character is developed and by the time they'r 6 the character is 90 % developed. The last 10% is developed in puberty and teen years. I was in Japan from 6 - 9 and then from 12 - 14 so I thank God for the influence all you Itazuke people had on my life and for the gift of getting to know you all these years, as well! I have been tremendously blessed.

      Delete
  5. Dear Jo, I will be praying hard for you, Lee, Trish and Gretta to have strength and faith. You are a very strong and determined woman and you will beat this. It sounds like you have every reason to believe that you will. Enjoy Branson! Love you, Linda & Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda and Tom, it's going to be a great 3 weeks. Lee and I are resting the first week. Then we'll play hard with the kids for 2 weeks. It's a real treat and we're looking forward to it! Thanks for your love and prayer!

      Delete