Monday, August 4, 2008

Happy 60th birthday to me, Steve, and Candy!


The picture on the blog today is me in the middle of my favorite spot and in my favorite old shirt. I’m usually on the other side of the sink looking at this array of pictures, but I got right in the middle of it for the pictures. I deadheaded nearly all my flowers today; the heat has whipped them. But, Joan brought me enough zinnias from her yard to make these two arrangements to enjoy on my birthday. I share my birthday with Candy Birch (a friend from Itazuke, who we saw when we ‘lived’ in Houston) and Steve Davis, who was pictured on the blog a couple of weeks ago with his rainbow tree. These are two good friends and it’s fun to share this special day with them.

Don wanted to do something special for my birthday today, but it was special to me to stay home! I loved it. Our neighbor across the street, Hazel, brought over some squash from her yard, so that was the perfect treat for supper. I was absolutely delighted!

I spent most of the day calling around to determine where I should go for my lymphedema therapy. I decided to go to Elk City and I have my first appointment on Wednesday afternoon. I’m sure we’ll go there and eat lunch out, so that’ll be a continuation of the celebration. I guess that will be the 60th anniversary of me being 3 days old. I know all the celebrating we do when we have a new baby in our family. The third day is as special as the first day; we’re already trying to tickle a smile out of those tiny babies. I hope I smiled for someone that day.

I’m smiling today and thanking God for no gap in my teeth and my own teeth. I’m thanking Him for hair and even curls! What a treat! I’m sure thanking Him for the ability to walk. We got up way early to walk and it was still pretty hot. I’m happy to be able to do it, though!

I’m doing the lymph massages on my arm that I learned when I was in Tijuana. They gave me those massages every other day, so that was good experience for me. Now I really need to be doing them. I’m anxious to see what exercises they will give me to do. I’m afraid they will take me off salt. That’ll be a good thing; no doubt I’ll lose 10 pounds because I really like salt and without it I won’t eat much. No salt, no sugar; good grief; I’ll learn what it really means to eat to live and maybe I’ll get down to the size I should be. Whatever. I will be content and give thanks.



8 comments:

  1. A belated but elated Happy Birthday to you! To be able to celebrate the day at home is a special blessing. Isn't wonderful to feel almost brand new again? I am glad you are going to have lymphedema therapy. Let me know if you want me to ask my friend in Houston what type of therapy she has that seems to help her.
    Jim and I would be traveling to Houston today, but the study nurse called Monday morning to tell us to stay put as stormy skies are expected today. I will have the blood drawn here and faxed to the nurse.
    What is your friend Judy's last name and was she at Itazuke when Jim's dad was still teaching there?
    Hey, I didn't see the birthday picture...I go back to see if I accidentally missed it.
    Love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ann! Yes, it is wonderful to feel so good; actually, it does feel almost brand new!

    I would be very interested to learn about your friend's lymphedema therapy and learn what she finds most helpful. When you get a chance please to ask her.

    I'm glad you didn't have to go to Houston in the stormy weather. How thoughtful of the study nurse to call you and rearrange your schedule.

    Judy last name is Izumi, now. Her maiden name is Cauthen. I think she was there after Jim's dad taught there. She was there from 59-62 I think.

    I just got the picture on this morning, but it's there. For some reason the blogger just couldn't get it posted last night. Sometimes there are technical issues and I just have to work around them the best I can. (Actually, I'm fumbling!)

    Hope your week is safe and productive with the study.

    Love,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Jo! from your friends at Brompton Court! You are much better about updating your blog than I. Birthdays become more special after the tour of duty at M.D. Anderson. After everything that you have been through I am sure that you can beat lymphedema. You will never know how much we appreciated running into you guys while Amanda and I were down in Houston. It always brightened our day and for some reason I always wanted to go for a walk after talking with you! :) Take care and have a great birthday!

    Brian H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Brian! It's so good to hear from you! Yes, birthdays are more special, anymore, as is EVERY day! Everyday is a celebration for us. It's really a gift, but it was a tough one to 'open,' huh?

    You do great with your blog. I find it easier to write every day because I'll forget something if I don't! I'll forget who I've told what about what's happening with us. I hope that my experience will help someone who finds themselves in my position someday; when they get there they won't be overwhelmed, but will take it in stride and feel kind of 'normal' with it. I believe it was such a help to me to have lived through my mom's experience with her when I was 17.

    You and Amanda were inspirational to us, too. You are young, but you kept right on plugging and smiling. I'm so proud of your successes and your maturity. I'm so impressed that you were both able to work right on through all your trauma! I'll keep an eye on your blog and keep you in my prayers.

    Love,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday MaryJo...goodie you are now catching up with me. Love your head full of curly hair. dana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Aunt Jo!
    We hope that your day was as special as you are!
    Love always,
    Brett, Heather & Luke
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Dana! I'm glad you like my hair; maybe I'm catching up with you with curly hair, too! It'll never be red or that long, though! Curly is a step in the right direction.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Brett, Heather and Luke! I spent some of today finding places for the beautiful gifts you gave me. They aren't hanging, yet, but I'm making a plan for them. The bracelet is another special one to the collection you started for me. You've turned me into a bracelet freak! Thanks so much for starting my birthday celebration early. It was so great to see you all, even briefly.

    Love and hugs,

    Aunt Jo

    ReplyDelete