Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My new fashion statement.


Pictures today are WITH mascara. I guess I look more alive, so I’m sticking with the mascara whenever I wear boobs. Maybe I’ll step up to eyebrows; we’ll see, but no promises. The first picture was taken this morning before we left for my therapy. I’m holding up some of my therapy tools. Notice my arms. My right arm actually LOOKS better than the left arm because it is tight and the left arm is flabby. Both SHOULD be flabby; the right one is tight because it is swollen. The therapist was very pleased that the swelling had gone down significantly when she measured, so that’s good. She doubled my exercises AND wrapped my arm. UGH! That’s the next picture; me, with the wrapping. I do not like this wrapping at all, but I’ll appreciate it if it helps to get my arm back into good (flabby?) shape. If I can trade this for breast cancer I am so pleased to do it. I don’t have to wear this wrap forever; just nearly! Actually, I wear it until it feels loose and then we take it off and Don puts it back on so that it’s tight, again. Ruthie, you would hate this! It’s a real exercise in claustrophobia control!

The goal with this wrap is to help the swelling to go down even more. I’ll continue the exercises and go back on Monday. If the swelling has gone down enough by then, the therapist will send me to Oklahoma City to be fitted for a custom sleeve to wear to help the swelling stay down. I guess I’m into another fashion statement. It’s the statement that says, “I don’t care how it looks if it makes me healthier.”

It’s uncomfortable to type, so maybe this will help me to be more concise. We went by the hospital today to see a friend who was having some outpatient surgery done. While there I saw a lady who was younger than me using a walker and a guy who looked to be in his 20’s in a wheelchair because he was paralyzed from the head down. Neither was IN the hospital, but they had appointments for some reason. I’m sure they were glad to not be patients in the hospital; I was glad to be upright and standing on my own, not to mention having walked for an hour this morning. So, I was reminded to give thanks that my only problem is lymphedema and to give THANKS for the wrapping instead of griping and whining about it. God has a way of keeping things in perspective if we pay attention.

4 comments:

  1. YOU LOOK GREAT!! Of course you did anyway, but even better now! You are so right....I wouldn't do well with the arm wrap, but if God ever deems that to be in my life, maybe I'll take lessons from you on how to deal with it!! I'm glad you've progressed to this point and doing so well. It's really different from this time last year as you were dealing with chemo, loss of hair etc. Look at you now!! I'm so proud of you!
    Love, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruthie! It means a lot to me that you can be proud of me. And, yes, we know that we can deal with whatEVER is dealt to us BECAUSE God will help us. What a comfort, huh?

    Can you believe this 'Granddaddy hair?' Someone at church asked me if I was used to it yet and I said, "No! I look in the mirror and think someone else is here, sometimes." It reminds me of the time I bleached my hair and didn't recognize myself. It's really a treat. Sometimes I think when I wash it the curl will surely fall out, but it's always there! I think it's my treat for putting up with this wrap. I'd have trouble doing much with my hair wearing this wrap, so it's a good thing I don't have to do anything to it.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, WOW, you are beautiful (inside and out)!! Keep the mascara going! You took at least 10 years off with a wave of the wand! Ha. Love you from another mascara lover, Linda R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amanda here

    you are looking amazing...i love you so much.

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete