Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Messing with wasps!

This picture was taken today. My dear friend Joan called yesterday and asked if I knew anyone who needed some flowers and I said, “Me!” She is so diligent to water and she had lots of zinnias to share. I put them with some artemesia from my garden and the bow from Gretta’s mother’s day bouquet and it makes me happy!

I’m getting along fine with the sleeve. Tomorrow we’ll measure to see what the numbers tell us. I think as long as it’s not swelling more then we are doing well. The whole idea is to keep the compression (from the sleeve) on my arm so that it causes the lymph to pump up out of the arm. I don’t have to wear it at night since I’m not moving that much and my arm is level with my heart so gravity is not working against me.

God was looking out after me today; I know that He always is, but today I got a real reminder. We have a bunch of wasps who built a nest INSIDE the birdfeeder I had hanging on the light fixture on our front porch. So, about a week ago I took the feeder back to our back fence and hung it back there so that the wasps could be happy and out of my way. Well, a few of them were gone when I moved it, so when they came back they were confused and looking for home. When they didn’t find it, they figured a tornado took it, I guess, and started to build ANOTHER one. I sprayed them. The next day, some of the friends and or relatives were back building above the door, so I sprayed THEM. I got away with all that. Then today, we were headed over to the hospital to see our friend and I noticed those rascals were building above the door, again! I reached up with my cane and whacked down the nest and ran back to the van, but one GOT ME ON THE NOSE, right close to my eye! (You can see it’s red in the picture; under the inside corner of my right eye on the side of my nose.) Man, he was fast! Thank God he didn’t get me on the arm! I jumped in the car and then said, “I can’t go! I’ve got to get ice on this.” The ice did make it feel lots better. Then when Don came home he reminded me that you’re supposed to tape a penny onto a sting. I did and it has been fine. It’s red and feels like a minor toothache, but it could sure have been worse. What a dummy I am to take on wasps! I’ve got to remember that this lymphedema has me somewhat compromised and I can’t be reckless. I’m glad I could move fast enough so that only ONE of them got me! God is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment