Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Vanity.


Vanity. The pictures on the blog today are all about vanity. The first picture is one Don took yesterday. The second one is one Judy sent me that was taken at our reunion in Reno 4 years ago. She sent it and said, ‘Don’t forget mascara.’ I guess she’s right. I’m sure she’d think I should go back to coloring my hair, too. Yes, I would look much younger, but folks would expect me to jump through hoops, then. I look every bit of 60 and people are surprised I can walk 3 or 4 miles every day. The last couple of years I’ve come to realize that looking young is NOT a priority to me. Being ALIVE is a priority. I’m not about to color my hair because I’ve read too much about the theories of hair coloring causing cancer, plus it was too big a deal to keep going. I’ve gotten too lazy over the last couple of years. I never wore anything but eye make up and I’ve been too lazy to even do that. Okay. I’m going to get out the mascara, again. I’m not wearing it every day, but I’ll wear it when I dress; maybe when I wear boobs. We’ll see, but I’m coming around to act alive. I’m not going to paint up like I did for a while, though; only mascara! Judy is a treasured friend. We knew each other before make up and boobs and she’s seen me through giving it all up. She’s the kind of friend who will tell you when you have a poppy seed in your teeth rather than let you go through the night with it there! I trust her judgment and love her for her advice and for loving me whether I take it or not.

Of course, going to the reunion will make me feel 14, so it ought to take 10 years off my looks! That and mascara will do wonders. HA!

Tomorrow we go to Elk City for another treatment for the lymphedema. I’m wearing mascara. I’ll have Don take a picture for the blog and you can watch as I come to life. God gave me this curly hair, so hair is not an issue. The least I can do is bring my eyes to life. Oh, I did use the round brush and blow dryer on my hair today. THAT was a fiasco. God gave me curls and curls it will be! These are a LOT of curls and there was no way I could get to all those curls and round them! I’m going to be so content with the ease of these curls. I’ll gladly spend a few seconds on a little mascara! (I think I need some eyebrows, too, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go there; so lazy, you know!) I’m going to enjoy seeing what happens as the hair gets longer; I think God is taking me on a new trip and I’m going to enjoy life with curls!

Aren’t the Olympics great! I’m really enjoying the gymnastics and swimming.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE HAIR! Love you mom!

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't color your hair Maryjo...I like it just the way it is. Everyone thinks I color mine...I just got lucky with the genes. Now the mascara will be great (I told Judy I would make sure you wore it in Vegas..lol) Your eyes are just beautiful and you need to "bring out the life" in them. Can't wait to see the pictures. dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your hair AND your eyes are beautiful just the way they are. Wear mascara if you want to, but don't ever think you 'need' to. The twinkle in you eye is prettier than any mascara.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Jilly; that's the best! Your love, and it's great that you love my hair, too. Coming from someone who knows hair and loves me, your opinion encourages me.

    Love and miss you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, Dana! You are too much. I can't believe Judy is sending you as the 'mascara police' to Vegas. We should get together and make me up really bizarre and make a picture to send back to Judy. I don't want to waste the time doing that, though. We'll think of something; we've got to make her wish she'd been there!

    Bringing the mascara!

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Trish, you make me feel beautiful. Your support (everyone's) and love gives me that twinkle in my eye. Thanks for encouraging me and giving me permission to go with or without!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete