Thursday, August 14, 2008

ugly


This is not a pretty picture. In fact, Don and I were horrified when we took the wrappings off my arm today. We took pictures and I emailed them to the therapist. She said that’s normal for the arm to look like that after wrapping. I’ve let the edema fill in so that it looks fairly regular and I’m supposed to wrap it again tonight. I really don’t like this, but I’m not in this for pleasure. I send it because I’m not writing a pretty book; I’m just telling it like it is.

You know how you feel when you have a bad toothache or a really sore toe? When I have something like that I get really irritable and it’s not fun to be around me. I was like that today. My cup was just about to run over with the discomfort in my arm. Those bandages were way worse than the arm feels without them. Remember when we were kids and we put rubber bands on our fingers or arms and left them too long? They left a really painful place and we wondered if they’d go away before our parents saw it and yelled at us? That’s how my arm felt; like I’d had a bunch of big rubber bands on it and left them too long. Sure enough when I took the wrapping off that’s how it looked! I wondered if the therapist was going to yell at me!

I went to the grocery store this morning and it’s a good thing they had lettuce or I would probably have exploded on someone. I came home and took a valerian (an herb helps me to relax). I’m not looking forward to wrapping the arm again, but it’s got to be done. I keep reminding myself that this is part of the CURE and I give thanks for the CURE. We’ll get a handle on this lymphedema and I can do it.

We had an appointment with our homeowner’s agent today and I wore mascara. Linda and Judy will be proud of me. I needed the mascara to look alive since my arm was really bothering me. Thank God for mascara and the cure, even when it hurts.

8 comments:

  1. Bless your heart....I'm so sorry you are having to experience this discomfort! It sounds like you had the fear of God in you that your parents would yell at you about those rubber bands...you had the same parents I did and if there was any yelling at you it was probably your big sister...not them!! You know what Mom would so kindly tell you...."this too shall pass" and it will!! I know you didn't really "fear" the therapist yelling at you, but remember II Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love, and of a sound mind". This is a verse I remember David having to memorize as a child, and I thought it was so powerful....and it is!! I love you! Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe a little mascara made that much difference...it really does make your eyes stand out MaryJo. You go girl. I really am sorry about the arm pain...I hope you do get the picture to post. I really have not had any experience with this. You know I'm using you as a learning tool ...just incase I need it some day. dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to tell you that I think your doing great. It sucks that you have lymphedema. I also wanted to tell you how pretty you look with or without mascara.
    Take care
    Wendy's Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruthie, you know I don't remember ANY yelling ever happening around our house. I was the one doing lots of squealing if ever there was any noise! I guess I would RATHER someone yell at me than take those wilted looks of hurt that Mom would give us. If Daddy gave us a hurt look I really knew we had run foul. Isn't it interesting that all it took was a look from them. I knew I never wanted to disappoint either of them.

    I guess I was always afraid of the people (all who were bigger than me) because I remember Mom saying, "They may kill you but they won't eat you." That seemed to give her some comfort, but I went away trembling in my boots wondering why I would care if they eat me if they had already killed me. I guess I grew up a scaredy cat; probably that made it all the more comforting to have a big brother and sister!

    Thank you so much for reminding me of that scripture, 2 Tim 1:7! I'm going to get a lot of good wear out of THAT one!

    See, what a blessing a big sister still is! Thanks for your love and care!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana, thanks so much for learning from this! That makes it all the more meaningful to me if I can help to pave the road for someone else. I hope you never have to walk the road, but I know that you will be great support for someone else who has to walk it. You sure are for me!

    Mascara is amazing, isn't it! Yeah, I'm hooked! I knew I would be as soon as I ever went there. I look in the mirror now, and really recognize myself. No kidding, I look up into the mirror and think, "Oh! You're back!" The mind is a funny thing!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Sweet Wendy's Becky! It's always so good to hear from you. That precious Wendy had some lymphedema; I'd love to share with her about it. I'll just treasure her memory and know that she's really with me as long as I keep her with me. We'll do this together, huh?

    Thanks so much for writing and for encouraging me. I'm glad you give me permission to wear or not wear the mascara! I used to be afraid to leave the house without it, so I was afraid to go back to it. I don't want to be so tied to it. It was fun to have nearly 2 years of eye rubbing! HA!

    Take care and keep in touch!

    Love,

    Wendy's Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jo, Now when I first began to see the picture of the heart rock and then Phil and Ruthie sitting on the concrete bench reading the Bible. I am sure it was the Bible, I thought right away, 'Why, that is the rock garden of Phil and Ruthie and was thinking you had one just like it!! I Love that and can't wait for Janie to come in here and see it. She came home yesterday after a 3 week vacation. We are so happy to have her back with us and so Blessed. I am sorry about the discomfort you are having but you can handle anything so long as you know it is helping you. You've come a Long Way!! With or without make up, you are a Beauty Queen! I think of our Family when you talk about no hollering from Mom and Dad. It didn't take that and as you say, one hurt look was far worse! What great memories. I feel like your home life was so much like ours. Isn't it Great to have such great Memories. Ruthie, I Love reading 11 Thimothy 1-7. We can really inspire one with our own favorite scriptures, can't we. One of mine is: I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me.That was one of my Daddy's favorite. Better days are coming!!
    With Love and Prayers
    Dot, Frazier and Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dot, thanks for your encouraging remarks! Yes, that heart rock is so perfect the way Phil has it displayed; I'm so glad it has found it's home with them. Be sure to take Jane over to see it!

    Thanks for loving me with or without mascara! I love it when you write; you always make me smile.

    Love,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete