Monday, August 18, 2008

I get to vote on how I react!


The picture tonight is tonight as I count my blessings. I’ve been tempted to whine today about this lymphedema. It’s no picnic. BUT, I have so much for which to give thanks.

Shortly after I first found my breast lump and went to Tijuana for treatment, a good friend of ours was in a car accident with another friend. The other friend was badly hurt and eventually died and Charlene was left with one leg amputated just above the knee. She has done beautifully and has even been to play cards with us a couple of times this year. Saturday, she fell and broke her pelvic bone in 3 places, so she will be in the hospital for several weeks. She is a fighter of the first degree, so she’ll do fine; it just won’t be easy for her.

Of course, you know our dear friend Dorothy suffered a broken wrist with her fall about 3 weeks ago, and her husband, David, has been in the hospital with pneumonia. David is home and his X-ray today showed that his pneumonia is gone. Dorothy is getting stronger and stronger with that arm.

These dear friends remind me that I am SO blessed! I can use both my arms and both my legs and I am cancer free. Our grandbabies are fine and our kids are fine. We all have challenges, but we are FINE!

We went to Elk City today for another therapy on my arm; the swelling is still going down. It’s down enough for me to be fitted for a compression sleeve, so I have an appointment in Oklahoma City Thursday for that. We are going Wednesday to Lawrence, Kansas to see Don’s brother, Gene. We’ll head back toward Oklahoma City then to make my appointment there on Thursday. Thursday night there is a documentary that we’ll see with Trish and Rob and Davey. We’ll get to see Tricia’s kids in the afternoon, and then it’ll be fun to have dinner and the documentary with our kids. We’ll come on home that night. Expect the post on the blog to be late on Thursday night.

I’m thanking God for great health and for precious friends to remind me how blessed I am. Our precious neighbor across the street, Hazel, reminds me that we don’t get to vote about what happens to us, but we DO get to vote about how we react to it! I have some great examples set for me and I thank God for them!

4 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, keep the mascara!! If you ever think you need more eyebrows, try a blonde pencil. That is what I occasionally use and looks natural I think. Love you and hang in there, Linda Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda. I knew you'd like the mascara. I tried a blonde pencil on my eyebrows but looked like a goof ball! I need help with the eyebrows. I'm thinking of tatooing some, but I'm really leary of that. I'll do LOTS of research before I go there.

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Linda and been meaning to suggest the blonde pencil. Dark as my hair is that's what they told me to use and it works real well. Stay away from the dark and whatever you do, don't tatoo!!! I've seen people with those, and not a good idea. That would look like the "shoe polish" which doesn't work well either!! Love you and you look great without anything drastic!! Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Ruthie, I just saw this. Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything drastic. I'm going to keep fumbling along and get by with mascara. There are much bigger issues to deal with than eyebrows. Mascara is about all I can handle right now! I got so spoiled not wearing any makeup for so long; mascara is a big deal anymore. Now, my hairs getting so long; I don't know what to do with it. I need help and hope someone at the reunion will help me!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete