Monday, August 11, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dorothy!!!


The picture on the blog tonight is the back of my head because I wanted you to see how chemo curly hair looks. Every day I am amazed at the curls! It looks like I’ve had a perm, but all I’ve had is a shampoo. This is fun! (Remember Tiny Tears Dolls? I look like a Tiny Tears Grammy!) This picture shows how much blonde is in my hair, too. When I was six I had blonde hair, but it hasn’t been blonde since then. Maybe I should get some blue shampoo? Gretta, tell me if I should get some special shampoo. I’m letting it grow; I haven’t cut on it since Gretta cut it for me a couple of months ago. I doubt if I’ll let it get very long, but this is too much fun to cut it, yet. One of these days I’m going to blow it dry with a round brush and see what happens, but I haven’t had time, yet. I’m not good at such a thing, so it’ll take some time.

Today is Dorothy’s birthday; she’s celebrating 39, again! She’s celebrating really big today because she got the best birthday present she could imagine: David got to go home! He still has pneumonia in his lungs, but they said it is much better and he can take the medication by pills. He can go home but he can only lay around. They were SO happy to get to go home! We’ll keep a close eye on them and help any way that we can.

I got up and walked way early this morning so I could be ready to go to the hospital early with Dorothy. (Don didn’t go because it was way early.) It doesn’t rain much in Hobart, but I got a shower while I was walking. Then after we got Dorothy and David settled at home we came home and Don wanted to walk, so I walked with him. So, today was a big walking day for me. I got some cooking done, too. I cooked chicken and ground beef to put in the freezer to pull out and make quick meals. The biggest thing I do anymore is exercise. I’m so glad to be able to do it and sure thank God for it!

Wow; the house seems empty with Dorothy and Daniel gone! It was so wonderful to have Dorothy here, but I know she’s so happy to be home with David. I thank God for the level of health that they are able to have recovered and pray that they will be back to normal soon. However, the doctor told them that it would probably take about 4 weeks for his lungs to be clear. Pneumonia is to be taken seriously, so we’ll be keeping a close eye on them. Tomorrow I’ll put that room back into it’s normal mode, as it appears it’s back to just us until company comes. Y’all come!

Daniel is back to school and we pray that he has a terrific year. This is his junior year. His dad’s knee surgery was postponed, so he is kind of on hold about that. Ugh; I think he’d like to get on with it, but they are using cortisone to buy some time, I guess. God will take care of them and we thank Him for that.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo!! What a wonderful head of hair!! I can't believe how curly it is. We'll have to start calling you "Curly." Just kidding. I really enjoy all your pictures that you post and your commentary, and hope you don't get too tired of doing your blog. Say hi to Don and have a really great day, with love, Linda Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, Don called me "Curly" when I was bald! He's such a nut. Yes, it sure fits, me now!

    I'm glad you enjoy my 'mission.' I don't get tired of it; it's kind of therapy for me and it saves me from having to write it over and over to people who ask how things are going. I hope that it will prepare folks for when they know someone else who has to get up close and personal with breast cancer and the treatments; I pray that nobody I know will face it, but if they do, they will have lived through it with me, so it won't be so overwhelming as it is for some women.

    The card you sent is so funny! (The birthday fairy; a chimp dressed up in a tutu.) When I opened it, I said, "Oh, look! They sent my picture!" Don put it up on his desk, and I said, "Oh, you really liked that card, too?" He said, "It's your picture, so I thought I'd like it on my desk." Actually, it reminds us both of all the fun we had with you two.

    Love,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete