Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11; red shirt day; thanking our troops for keeping us safe!



This picture is one of Raynie signing "cheese" for the picture. That's proud mommy, Trish with her. When we take pictures we always say, "Say cheese!" Raynie signs cheese and all the rest of us burst out laughing; she thinks that's really cool, and so do I! What a joy to be able to share this phase of her life. (We sure miss Elena, but thank God for the computer, the phone and digital cameras for keeping us in touch so much more than we could have been even 20 years ago!)


Today we've gotten ready to leave for this weekend's travels. We're going in the morning to David and Susan's new house in Norman. Then we'll ride with them to the OSU game in Stillwater. This is a first for us. We've never been to an OSU game. If you watch it on TV, watch for the only people in the crowd not wearing orange; that'll be us. We don't own orange shirts. I have black picked out for us to wear. Davey may be embarrassed and dress us in some of his orange; we'll see. Anyway, we're most excited to see their daughter, Erica, who is a freshman at OSU this year, and Bruce, who we've missed playing baseball all summer. He is growing by leaps and bounds at 15; that's what guys do so well. He's 6', weighs 210 and wears a size 14 shoe. We really can hardly wait to see them!


Then Sunday is Mason's birthday, so we're spending the night to be there Sunday, too. It'll be a fun weekend and then we'll come home and get back to real life, again.


Real life is pretty good stuff and I thank God for it. Arimidex is the pill I take to block estrogen because my cancer was fed by estrogen. Well, Arimidex is quite the devil, too. It makes me gain weight, like I didn't already have a problem with that! It also causes my feet, toes, and ankles to hurt and swell; the day before yesterday my left thumb started hurting. (More and more of these symptoms keep appearing.) It also causes arthritis, like being 61 wouldn't already push me in that direction. So, I feel really good, BUT, I ache a lot. The way I see it, I can deal so much better with these things than I could have dealt with death from breast cancer! I had aches and pains before I had breast cancer and all the treatments, but I just have it a little worse now. I'm ALIVE! I hope to be able to discontinue the Arimidex after 4 more years.


So that's how it is around here at this point; I feel achy and fat most days, but I feel ALIVE and blessed and I thank God for it. Being alive, I got to enjoy last weekend with the kids here. This weekend we get to see two more grandkids and go to the game with Davey and Susan. Every day I walk and do everything I need to do at home and Don even vacuums to help me. I thank God for so many blessings. I look forward to seeing all the rest of the kids before too long; alive is fantastic, even if I'm creaky and sometimes cranky.

No comments:

Post a Comment