Sunday, September 20, 2009

We must be crazy!



This is Steve and Mary, standing a few feet in front of a buffalo. We must all be crazy; we hiked right past this guy, TWICE! These buffalo are not tame, but they don't bother you if you don't bother them, they tell us. They also tell us that if they charge you, you should lay down and play dead. I really can't imagine I could do that. But, I was able to walk past him and keep right on moving on our hike. We walked right past this guy going into the hike and he was still there an hour or more later when we returned. We had done some pretty heavy duty climbing on these rocks, so if he had charged us when we were done we probably could have played dead, come to think of it! Don took my picture standing in this same place; I'll post it some other night.


Today was elk day! It was awesome! We went to the reserve and saw 20 elk! We first saw 3, grazing, then later found one single male. Then after that view we spotted 3 more and parked so that Steve and I could move to the fence and get pictures. I don't even remember if I got any pictures; I don't think so. I wasn't close enough and I was too excited just watching. As we stood there, we saw 4 more behind the first three and then more moved into our view from behind the trees! There were a total of 16 at that one place. We go to the reserve a lot and we always see buffalo, longhorn and prairie dogs. But, today we saw all of those, plus the elk, a bunch of deer, a scarlet tanager and a rock wren. It was such a fine day of experiences. We thank God for blessing us so richly.


Steve and Mary had to go home tonight, but it was a wonderful visit. We are totally exhausted from the busy 3 days we've had, but it was so worth it! It was great to have them in our home and, as always, wonderful to spend time exploring with them.

4 comments:

  1. Wow you really go on some cool hiking trips! I wish we lived near one another! I could use some motivation to get up off the couch most days! haha I have never seen a buffalo! We don't have those here in MI, not even at the zoo!

    Love,
    Wendy's Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Becky! Come down to see us! We'd so love to have you come and we can guarantee you a wonderful wildlife tour and great hiking. If you get tired, our couch needs some use, so you can do that, too! I'm serious; put us on your vacation itenerary. We have plenty of rooom and you can stay as long as you have time.

    Love you,

    Wendy's Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be so great! Thanks for the invite and I will surely keep that in mind! I have never been to your area! We don't really travel too much but if we do I will let you know!
    Love,
    Wendy's Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, it would be so wonderful to have you. Wendy would want us to do this! Please do keep it in mind and dream toward it until you make it happen! We have plenty of room to have you come and stay. We don't have to wear ourselves out hiking all day every day; we can play cards or just hang out. Whatever is fun for you. We can hike as much as you feel like doing.

    Love you,

    Wendy's Jo

    ReplyDelete