Sunday, December 20, 2009

A real adventure!


Dial up beats me getting a snail mail out to everyone, but, it sure is the pits. Our Internet service has been down since the big rain, lightning and thunder we had Saturday, as well as 19 hours and 20 minutes of no power. Anyway, I've been working to get this posted forever and it won't go. If there is a picture, count it as a blessing; if not, I'll come through with pictures whenever I can. Dec. 21, 2009.

Okay, the Internet guru just left and I think this will post, WITH a picture! I hope! 12/21/09 4:53 p.m. Hawaii time. Follows all I 've been working to post for the last hundred years (it seems).

Okay, UNCLE. I've been attempting to load the picture for 3 hours. I'm going to post and I'll post the picture that goes with this when we get high speed, again. This picture is one Don took when we were hiking on Friday. It was really thick, sometimes, and I was doing my best to stand still while he took the picture of this 'road.' Notice the deep water in this hole. I was standing on the lava at the 'bump in the road.' We didn't see anyone driving in this particular spot, but there were a couple of trucks back around the beach and there were tracks, so we know this is how they went. I just can't figure out how they did it, even with 4 wheel drive. They weren't great looking trucks, so maybe they just tumble over this spot? Tom, we thought of you! Linda, it was better to hike in than to ride over THIS road!

Now, that was Friday. Saturday it rained all day and night. We had lightning and thunder like we get at home a lot, but it's very unusual here. They called it a storm and it really did disable us! We were without power for 19+ hours and the high speed internet connection (for which the hub is right here in this house!) was disabled. The guru called me and walked me through whatever I needed to do to get things going again, but, alas, the lightning must have gotten to it. He's sending a person who knows what he's doing tomorrow. So, tomorrow will be interesting. The dishwasher repair man is coming (it broke before we got here and he's been twice since we got here) and the internet repair guy is coming. We're still basking in electricity, so we're happy to hang loose and wait on the repair guys. It took me a couple of hours to get the dial up set up and working. Whew. I'm about teched out!

No kidding we were sitting at the table eating shredded wheat with peanut butter on it when the power came back on. We got right up and fixed something hot, and gave THANKS! God is so taking care of us! It was so good to have running water and lights, not to mention gas. It was wonderful to be able to open the fridge! It was especially wonderful that the food in the freezer was firm enough to leave. I was imaging having to cook everything and re-freeze it to save it. 19 hours is a pretty long time, but Harry's freezer and fridge did a beautiful job.

This is an adventure! It broke me in for not being able to post on the blog. It reminds me that when we go to Maui, we may not have internet connection, so maybe I'll be weaned from blogging? We'll see. Thanks for your patience and for keeping up with us.

2 comments:

  1. Jo! As I was reading this entry I was thinking "Oh my back, 4-wheeling over that bumpy road!!" Sure sounds like an adventure though! Have a really great time and Merry Christmas. It must have been awful not having electricity all those hours. Had an ice storm here a few years back and we were out of electricity for about five days. It was fun! Love you both, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm . . . I think I answered this. I wonder where it went? Anyway, we were sure thinking of you when we went there. I was so grateful I could walk it; riding would have been a killer deal! We sure miss you. I know this will be a special Christmas with Betty right there with you: new challenges, but memories to treasure!

    We sure love and miss you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete