Monday, May 9, 2011

RIP Aunt Alice.

This picture is one I took of my brother, Jim, and our Aunt Alice at our reunion 3 years ago. Two years ago my brother died. Today our Aunt Alice died. Jim was nearly 69 when he died. Aunt Alice would have been 96 if she had lived to her birthday on the 14th. She was the last of my mother's generation in our family; she had been married to my mother's brother. She was the mother of my cousin, Suzanne, who is so much like a sister to me. We were college roommates and we spent most of every summer together. We'd go to wherever there was a vacation Bible school and spend the week with a relative there. Suzanne was one year older than me and her brother, Frank, was one year older than her. We were all three in college together and have always been close. Aunt Alice and Uncle Fay grew the best tomatoes ever. They lived out on the edge of a little town near Nashville. It wasn't a farm, but it wasn't the city. They had a huge garden and a creek that ran by the edge of their property. They had cats and even goats. I always loved to go to their house. I was so glad I had this picture to post of two of my all time favorite people. I got tons of hand me downs from Suzanne; we played dolls to the max! I have lots of great memories around Aunt Alice! We celebrate a wonderful life that she lived and the tremendous example she was to us.

I thank God for families. I thank God for giving Aunt Alice a peaceful transition. She passed at home, peacefully. I thank God for giving me a wonderful aunt for 62 years of my life. I had lots of other aunts, but she is the last and she was always a pillar in my life. Our generation is the senior group, now; I hope we can continue as gracefully as Aunt Alice did. What a lady!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jo, I am so sorry about your Aunt Alice passing, but from her picture it looks like she lived a fruitful life and was extremely healthy till the end I hope. She sounds like a wonderful lady. Love you, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda. Aunt Alice was such a dear. She lived a wonderful 94 1/2 years, but then she started downhill. She was blessed to have such a rich life and she sure enriched the lives of the rest of us in her life.

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete