Friday, July 20, 2007

Day one of chemo.




We didn't think to bring the camera to the chemo treatment tonight, so I don't have pictures of that. It wouldn't be a pretty picture, anyway. They haven't got a port or central line in me, yet, so they had to poke around to find a vein. The nurse couldn't find one, so he had to call someone from the 'vein team.' She had to stick me twice before she got one that would work. (The central line means they install a port which becomes a part of me for the duration of all this chemo. Then they stick the port instead of me each time they need to drip something into me. That will be wonderful to have!)


As soon as they started the chemo and I wasn't having a reaction they said I could go to sleep. God gave me the gift of sleep, so I went right to sleep. It was hard to get up and come home.


I don't feel sick or anything; just sleepy. So, I'm going to pick out some pictures for the blog and go to bed.


Tomorrow we will leave Judy and Aki's home and go to Doris and Jerry's. We only have appointments at the clinic on Wednesday and Friday next week, so we can drive in from Doris and Jerry's house and return Judy and Aki's home to them. They have been so hospitable and have made this time so stable for us. It's been really fun to be with them, too. What a blessing! Judy has been terrific to drive us everywhere and even sit with us for hours on end. Tonight we went out to eat and then Judy and Aki dropped us off at the clinic and came back and picked us up after we were done with the treatments. We were supposed to start at 8, but we didn't even get started until 9:15 and then it was a half hour before they ever got the IV going. They have jigsaw puzzles in all the waiting rooms around here. That is right up my alley; I love working on puzzles. I'm amazed that they have those and it's something that I like so much.


The pictures on the blog tonight will give you some insight into the guy that Gabe is. He's amazing. I caught him in the first one, just laying on the sofa gazing at Raynie as she slept on the sofa. He is the 'nanny' of all the kids. They are all loving and love to hold the baby, etc., but he is the caregiver to the max, and has been with each of the babies born after him. It's amazing how sensitive and tender he can be, and still be the macho guy that he is. In the next picture he is down on the floor building with boxes I brought for them to use as building blocks. Nate is helping, but you see that Gabe is down there giving it 100%. Then in the last picture he is proudly showing off the lizards they have. I think they are named Chocolate and Chip. Gabe loves them just like he does his snake and all the frogs he caught at our house. He takes care of everything from creatures to baby sister and Mommy. Notice in all of the pictures he is wearing the pink hat he got in Mexico on the trip he took with his Dad last summer. That hat is nearly a part of him; he left it at our house the last time he was there and was really thrilled when I brought it to him this time. I wanted to wash it for him, but that would have ruined it in his eyes. :) He's one of my heroes. How lucky am I to have 15 heroes!


I'm disappointed that I hardly have any pictures of Nate and nearly none of Mason. Mason is always on the move, so it's hard to catch him in a photo. I'll have to concentrate on getting pictures of him the next time we see them. Gabe, Sadie and Grace don't mind smiling for pictures and stopping for them, so they are easy game for Grammy and the camera!


Thanks for checking in on us. Have a great weekend and count the blessings with me. God is great!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jo, You have no idea how thrilled I was to find your report of the first chemo on here! As always, it was so infomative of "the plan" and so fun to have a peak at Gabe and his "friends", Nate, and Raynie. You were in my thoughts and prayers all day yesterday; even went out on porch at 3:30 am this morning and said a prayer for you. I was so in hopes you weren't sick and was worried since nothing was on blog. I didn't know you were being "treated" so late. Thanks for filling in the blanks for us regarding how your chemo will be given and for continuing to share your many blessings with us. As you so often say, God is so good!!
    We love you! Ruthie and Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ruthie, I'm so sorry if I left you worried! I'm really feeling fine! I'm really tired today, but a nap fixed me! Thanks for your prayers; anything on the porch has got to be the best!!! I LOVE that porch and YOU!

    I'll keep you all informed about my doings. You'll just have to cut me some slack to be late and to forget to tell you it's going to be late. I can imagine that you thought I was too sick to write. I have not been sick at all, so it's a shame if you were worried that I was. Even if I was, I can handle that pretty well. Remember, I spent half of my life sick whenever any motion took place, so I deal well with a barf bag. Don't you worry; I'll be fine. God will take care of all the details that we miss; you knew that because you went to the porch to remind Him I might be in need. :) I love you!! Jo

    ReplyDelete