Saturday, July 28, 2007

Dr. Don






















Today was supposed to be restful, but it went awry! We did sleep late, and that was nice. Then we went to the IHOP for brunch and that was nice. After that we intended to go to Wal-Mart and get heparin for my heparin flushes for my picc line. Wrong. They don’t have it. NOBODY has it! We looked all over at the Walgreens, CVS, and Krogers and nobody carries it. They could all ORDER it, but we had to have it today. You have to flush these deals every 24 hours. They made sure to tell us THAT, but they didn’t tell us we had to get them at the MD Anderson pharmacy. So, off we drove back to MD Anderson instead of taking a nap. Ugh. It takes an hour to get there no matter when you go, it seems. Anyway, we got the heparin and Don flushed my picc for the first time tonight.

We went out to eat at a Mexican restaurant tonight on our way to the Texas Opry Jamboree in Magnolia. It was a taste of small town Texas, sort of right on the edge of Houston. It was fun, but I was exhausted. We had great seats; right in the middle of the 3rd row from the front. A couple of Doris and Jerry’s friends have those seats regularly, but they were out of town this week, so we got to go get their seats. Way cool!

Two of the pictures on the blog tonight are of Dr. Don flushing my picc line. The picc line is doing just fine and Don makes a great doctor. I would really call it nursing, but he called himself the doctor and I’m not about to argue with him or demote him! He’s the best of whatever he is. God is good to give him to me! All of you, too! Thanks for being in my corner!

The other picture is my picc line all wrapped and ready for last night’s bath. I wrap it first in a plastic sleeve, which I tape around the edges. Then Jerry came in last night with an extra plastic bag and a couple of rubber bands suggesting that I make a second wrap just to give extra protection from water. If the bandage gets wet I have to go to the hospital to have them change it until Don gets cleared to do it. We couldn’t get that clearing scheduled until next Friday, so it’s imperative that I keep it dry. Jerry was my hero last night; what a great idea that was and it worked beautifully. God is so good to surround me with all this support! There was a lady in class with us the other day and she said she has to do all her own stuff because her husband can’t stand to look at anything medical or even her port. Man, sometimes you just don’t have choices and you make the best of situations, but you don’t leave your spouse just hanging out there alone! I felt so sorry for her and was reminded again how lucky I am to have Dr. Don! (I’m sure he’s not enjoying any of this, either, but he wouldn’t abandon me for a minute!)

6 comments:

  1. Jo,

    Tell Dr. Don hello. I’ve got my own Dr. named Jane who takes care of all my meds, flushing my peg (feeding tube), and working hard to keep my sprits up. Now that she is dealing with Breast Cancer and because my hand tremor is excessive, we are fortunate to have Jane’s best friend who we will have to start calling Dr. Patsy.

    You and Don are always in our prayers…

    Gene (64)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Edd/Gene, for your prayers and your note. I sure hope that Jane's confrontation with breast cancer goes well, and, of course, I will be interested in comparing notes with her some day. Aren't you so fortunate to have Dr. Patsy to stand in Dr. Jane's place! I love how God puts the people we need in our lives when we need them.

    Take care and keep in touch. With a Cobra hug, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Honeyman!!! I'm so proud of you being Dr. Don for my Sissy. I wish I could help too. I'm into that kind of stuff you know. I'm sure Honeyman is doing an excellent job. Becca left today. Mike and Penny came and picked her up. It was so fun having her here with me. I miss her already. She's got too more weeks of her visit and I told her to call me if she wanted to come back and I would come and get her....Yep, I'm singing as I hold your hand. Remember when you, me and O'Marie sang at church...we held hands then and I'm singing "I Love You Lord" now as I hold your precious hand. I love you. Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Sis! Yes, I remember our singing and holding hands and treasure the memory! I hear and feel you with me. Honeyman is doing an awesome job. I never pictured him as the Dr. kind of guy, but he's stepping up to the plate and is my all time hero!

    Keep singing, girl; I'm counting on it! Love you, Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW - what an inspiration you are to me! Your strong faith is really something to be admired. It sounds like Dr. Don is doing a great job - we are so proud of him. When you get back to Oklahoma, let us know if we can do anything for you. We're only a phone call away. You are both always in our thoughts and prayers. Sending our love. B & Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. B&Z, thanks so much for your note and encouragement. Don is doing a great job! He amazes me. This kind of thing is not 'up his alley.' He is more likely to get a professional to 'fix it' or 'do it.' Well, he has to become the professional in this case and he's stepping up to the plate just as if it were a sport. He's a great sport and a great doctor!

    Thanks for your support!

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete